Sick chicken please help

The vet would need to prescribe meloxicam, but that is good for pain and inflammation. But you can also give aspirin 81 mg low dose once or twice a day into the back of the beak or give with food.

The black tarry stools could be from bleeding internally, but I have seen black droppings before in normal droppings. If you think it is old blood, then do nit give aspirin.

So sorry that he is not swallowing. I would not try to feed or water him if he continues to do that. Just hold water or food up to his beak with a small scoop or cup. You may want to schedule euthanasia if you vet can do that.
She will go tomorrow morning at 7:30 for euthanasia, she is floppy now and although I keep her propped with blankets her quality of life is gone. Thank you for helping me through this. #heartbroken

I am so sorry that she has gotten worse. You are doing the best thing for her, but it is hard to watch them go down hill. Do you plan to try to get a necropsy through your state vet to see what was wrong? I don’t know what state you are in, but some state vet labs will euthanize for the necropsy. But each state lab is different, so one would need to call and talk to them, then arrange to take the chicken in to the lab. This list has at least one poultry lab in each state:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Last edited:
I am so sorry that she has gotten worse. You are doing the best thing for her, but it is hard to watch them go down hill. Do you plan to try to get a necropsy through your state vet to see what was wrong? I don’t know what state you are in, but some state vet labs will euthanize for the necropsy. But each state lab is different, so one would need to call and talk to them, then arrange to take the chicken in to the lab. This list has at least one poultry lab in each state:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
Thank you. When I respond to this doesn’t it respond to everyone? A tiny glimmer of hope tonight. I noticed yesterday she kept going to the corner of the cage leaning against the bars, so put blanket rolls in her cage. All day she has kept herself up against this roll or the one on the opposite end. She props herself up and seems comfortable. Hasn’t winced once today, and actually drank 2 sips just now, and ate! I have Poly vi-sol coming from amazon tomorrow. I could see if the vitamin drops help bc I saw that on a you tube video; but also must consider her wings, if you can see they are floppy and doesn’t seem recover is likely. I’m
so sorry for all the questions and I can’t thank you enough for your help. So the question is, is this enough improvement to wait on euthanizing? What do you think?
Our state is Mo. I will call the lab tomorrow, thank you for the list!

Attachments

• A5DF5486-163E-4AC8-BA0F-5306C44A8CC3.jpeg
    A5DF5486-163E-4AC8-BA0F-5306C44A8CC3.jpeg
    536.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 93AFDBA7-B204-4F26-80B8-D0AFDB70BC76.jpeg
    93AFDBA7-B204-4F26-80B8-D0AFDB70BC76.jpeg
    472.3 KB · Views: 9
Yes. I think you are exactly correct. I think it is Mareks. Especially the way she can’t seem to support her body and have wing control. I will call the vet Monday about euthanizing, bc I’m
told this doesn’t get better?
How would she have gotten this, she is 3. Are the other chickens at risk?

Thank you so much for you kindness and helping. She does seem comfortable with her giant fluffy bed I made and giving her small amounts of food often.
I honestly don't know much about Mareks since my flock has never dealt with it before, so I hope that none of your bird's flockmates come down with it too. Best of luck with your flock moving forward.

Thank you. When I respond to this doesn’t it respond to everyone? A tiny glimmer of hope tonight. I noticed yesterday she kept going to the corner of the cage leaning against the bars, so put blanket rolls in her cage. All day she has kept herself up against this roll or the one on the opposite end. She props herself up and seems comfortable. Hasn’t winced once today, and actually drank 2 sips just now, and ate! I have Poly vi-sol coming from amazon tomorrow. I could see if the vitamin drops help bc I saw that on a you tube video; but also must consider her wings, if you can see they are floppy and doesn’t seem recover is likely. I’m
so sorry for all the questions and I can’t thank you enough for your help. So the question is, is this enough improvement to wait on euthanizing? What do you think?
Our state is Mo. I will call the lab tomorrow, thank you for the list!
Yes, you are responding publicly, so everyone can see it.
I'm sorry about your hen.
If you have a Tractor Supply, they should carry poultry vitamins like Poultry Cell or Poultry Nutri-Drench that you can give her - direct dose is 1 cc per 3 pounds of weight.

Her stance, to me, makes me think she is suffering from a reproductive problem. Cancer, Egg Yolk Peritonitis, etc.

Glad that she seemed a little more alert this evening. Only you can be the judge if it is time to let her go. This morning, she seemed floppy and unresponsive. Sick chickens have good days and bad. I would see how she is in the morning, and contact the vet to postpone if she is hanging in there. Are you near a farm store? The Poultry NutriDrench is just what she needs, but you may use the PolyVisol without iron if you wish. Most times, it is hard to tell what is wrong until a necropsy is performed, but you are doing a good job of caring for her.

Yes, you are responding publicly, so everyone can see it.
I'm sorry about your hen.
If you have a Tractor Supply, they should carry poultry vitamins like Poultry Cell or Poultry Nutri-Drench that you can give her - direct dose is 1 cc per 3 pounds of weight.

Her stance, to me, makes me think she is suffering from a reproductive problem. Cancer, Egg Yolk Peritonitis, etc.
Egg yolk Peritonitis! That is what someone said in beginning, let see, I think there was a link from eggscessive. Vet did feel a lump. If it’s that maybe be treatable. I will read now. I sure wish the vet gave me answer but I can’t seem to find a vet that deals with chickens! I should be paying all of you, lol.

Back
Top Bottom