sick chicken recomedation

Meet JJ JIMMY JUNIOR :) when I got home with him under my right arm and my wife was studying for her test she look at JJ and got scary she tough was jimmy hahaha and than she come and started to play with him was funny. the chickens love him they are doing well here some pictures thanks everyone for all the support

Meet JJ JIMMY JUNIOR :) when I got home with him under my right arm and my wife was studying for her test she look at JJ and got scary she tough was jimmy hahaha and than she come and started to play with him was funny. the chickens love him they are doing well here some pictures thanks everyone for all the support

Hi Jimmy Jr.!

You have a very handsome fellow there Matt. I'm glad you were able to find a replacement.

I do hope everything goes well and your flock remains happy and healthy
smile.png

quick question do you think is okay to put the chicken that was sick with the health chickens ? she have new feathers coming out and she sees fine I also want to know if is okay to eat her eggs since I have her Pinicilin for 3 days and the last time was the 4th this month thanks she did not lay no eggs im just curious if she lay a egg

Hey just joined this site, can someone answer a question i have.
I got 12 barrock hens, i had three come down with a eye infection, l have been treating them for a upper respiortary infection.
Gave each hen 1/2 cc of LA 300 2 of them r looking a lot Better.i notice the one hen that got sick last still has a swolen eye.
How long should i wait to put the better birds back in the main flock.
I have been treating the healthy of the three for 9 days.
The sicker one for only three days?

I got 12 barrock hens, i had three come down with a eye infection, l have been treating them for a upper respiortary infection.
Gave each hen 1/2 cc of LA 300 2 of them r looking a lot Better.i notice the one hen that got sick last still has a swolen eye.

quick question do you think is okay to put the chicken that was sick with the health chickens ? she have new feathers coming out and she sees fine I also want to know if is okay to eat her eggs since I have her Pinicilin for 3 days and the last time was the 4th this month thanks she did not lay no eggs im just curious if she lay a egg
Hi @mattscoop I don't think there is "labeling" for withdrawal period in hens. You will need to research it to make sure, but looks like you may be safe with a 10-14day withdrawal period.

As far as putting her back in with the others, that would be up to you. Since you purchased her with the other hens, whatever she had I'm sure they were exposed to. Keep watch on them and if you see any signs of illness, then treat them like you did her.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/76502/egg-withdrawal-period-for-penicillin
Welcome to BYC.

It is usually advisable to quarantine new birds for at least 30 days to determine if they have any illness, disease, parasites, etc., that could be passed along to your existing flock. While some respiratory illnesses are "common", they are contagious and can make birds that are sick and have been exposed carriers for life. Depending on what illness you are dealing with, it would be up to you to decide whether or not you want to risk exposing an otherwise healthy flock to illness.

I recommend that you read up on quarantine practices and respiratory illness in poultry. This will help you with your next step.

Here's some info to get you started:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/quarantine-of-backyard-chickens-why-and.html

Back
Top Bottom