Sick chicken...???s

sadie423

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 16, 2008
I looked though a few threads, but since I have no clue what to look for I didn't know what to search for. I have a hen (a white rock, just over a year old) Today I noticed she was real still and fat out in the yard. We have a couple that have done this in the past....still, puffy, loose poops for a little bit...but they get over it fairly quick. When we went out to check on her she started walking, but very slow and almost stiff legged. She went in the house...about 1:30 pm. She's been in the house, standing, laying under the waterer since then (it's 7 pm now). I felt her neck and it was soft and squishy---is that how it is supposed to feel? She is just very still, and lethargic. Is there a common ailment that causes this? or something I can give her?
Thanks
Sarah

I don't know about the soft neck?
it would seem she is suffering from some joint problems

basically she has some nerve damage and touch of E.coli
(1)I would give her a half adult asprin for a couple of days for the pain and stiffness

before giving asprin always feed some of the wet mash probiotic for the chickens gut to absorb the asprin

(2)do this immediately
she needs neurolodigal vit E and Vit B complex for nervous disorder

(3) and feed the chicken water with apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp to pint of water
Do this till after the chickenise better. Should be able to put the ACV water in a small waterer for the chicken

(4 immediately give the chicken 1000 mg capsule of liquid Vit E by cutting the end of the capsule and taking the vit E capsule and let the oil run into the chickens beak

(5 also need to crush a vit B complex pill in a tbsp and put it into a tsp of water and put it in the chickens beak after it is disolved
Do both Vit's twice today then for 7 days till you see some improvement in the chicken

then give twice a week for two weeks should see much improvement

(6 generally the shock of a event like E.coli will cause chickens to have this nerve damage
the manure color is E.coli color

(5 after today I would see if the chicken will eat a
natural probiotic wet mash
2 tsp of dry crumbles
4 tsp of milk sweet, sour or buttermilk
1 tbsp of non flavored yogurt
mix good and put the
vit E liquid as directed in the wet mash
and crumble the Vit B complex tablet in a tabsp and add to the wet mash

(7 Do this twice a day for 7 days to see if the chicken is better
then do this once a day for another week then once a week for a while
this should give the nervous system some stability

(8
you can email by PM for more information and include this inf so I remember what is happening

I think all the Vit E oil will help the joints not to be stiff also

Back
Top Bottom