Sick chicken semi-recovering but still watery poop

Epn

In the Brooder
Jan 10, 2021
Hello, I have looked at so many posts (and gross poop pictures!) but can’t find same specifics—
During the heat wave a few weeks ago our 1year 8 month chicken got very sick - not leaving the roost, all liquid poop, empty crop and missing feathers around her bottom & chest while we were away. Luckily our chicken sitter was able to take her home and feed her electrolytes and she started eating and drinking (a lot). She started to recover and when we got home we kept her in AC & fed her probiotics.

She seems much better and is regrowing some feathers and eating and drinking (still a lot) with a full crop but still sleeping a lot & has not resumed egg laying. She still has very watery poops, although sometimes they come out strange and long & wrapped in white. We are keeping her separate from our 3 other chickens. Today I noticed what may be worms in her poop and wondering if I should try deworming.

Side note- all of our chickens are experiencing feather loss which we had attributed to feather pecking before, but none are having the other symptoms.

Attaching pictures here. Sorry for the yuck factor!! Our vet does is not great with chickens but I could give him a sample if really necessary.

Thank you!

Attachments

• DF76CC4D-CB1F-49E5-A092-E4F1050C6654.jpeg
    DF76CC4D-CB1F-49E5-A092-E4F1050C6654.jpeg
    616.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 48A99BA9-4E51-40DF-8A23-3CBDBD9EFE9B.jpeg
    48A99BA9-4E51-40DF-8A23-3CBDBD9EFE9B.jpeg
    815.1 KB · Views: 12
If the circled things were worms, I think it would have to be either roundworms or segments of tapeworm to be that big - but it doesn't look quite right for either of those to me, although examples I've seen are limited. Could it be undigested seeds? Looks like there is other undigested plant matter in there too so makes me wonder if it was just some more of that. Roundworms can come out whole or in long chunks and are pinkish to whiteish. Tapeworms show up as little segments; sometimes they can look like little white grains of rice, other times they have a cup shape on one end. If the vet is willing to do a fecal float that would answer it definitively but not all vets will do it for animals outside their specialty.

Unfortunately I don't know how to interpret the "white wrapped" poop so someone else will have to chime in on that. I haven't seen one like that before.

If the circled things were worms, I think it would have to be either roundworms or segments of tapeworm to be that big - but it doesn't look quite right for either of those to me, although examples I've seen are limited. Could it be undigested seeds? Looks like there is other undigested plant matter in there too so makes me wonder if it was just some more of that. Roundworms can come out whole or in long chunks and are pinkish to whiteish. Tapeworms show up as little segments; sometimes they can look like little white grains of rice, other times they have a cup shape on one end. If the vet is willing to do a fecal float that would answer it definitively but not all vets will do it for animals outside their specialty.

Unfortunately I don't know how to interpret the "white wrapped" poop so someone else will have to chime in on that. I haven't seen one like that before.
Thank you so much for this info- I just researched the tapeworm possibility and I am wondering if this may be it because when I checked a minute later the white bits had disappeared and I am reading that segments can still move.

I will ask the vet if they do this type of testing and also look for tapeworm treatment.

Thanks again!

She seems much better and is regrowing some feathers and eating and drinking (still a lot) with a full crop but still sleeping a lot & has not resumed egg laying. She still has very watery poops, although sometimes they come out strange and long & wrapped in white. We are keeping her separate from our 3 other chickens. Today I noticed what may be worms in her poop and wondering if I should try deworming.
What do you feed, including treats?

You mention she's drinking a lot. Is her crop empty in the mornings before she's had anything to eat/drink?

Do you provide grit (crushed granite) free choice?

Hard to see what's in the poop, I do agree, it looks like a lot of undigested material.
A fecal float will give you a better idea about whether to deworm or not. If your vet is unable to do that for you, then deworming would be worth considering anyway.

What do you feed, including treats?

You mention she's drinking a lot. Is her crop empty in the mornings before she's had anything to eat/drink?

Do you provide grit (crushed granite) free choice?

Hard to see what's in the poop, I do agree, it looks like a lot of undigested material.
A fecal float will give you a better idea about whether to deworm or not. If your vet is unable to do that for you, then deworming would be worth considering anyway.
I feed her New Country Organic classic grind layer feed and mealworms for treats. Since she’s been sick & separated I’ll give her a veggie or fruit treat, a small piece every other day or so- I also tried a bit of sardine the other day because I read the protein is good. (I also realize I think I gave too many treats to the flock before she got sick) She’s been free ranging maybe 2 hours a day and pecking around at plants/bugs, but sits a lot too.

She does get grit but I usually throw a bit in each day- should I be putting more in?

I actually just went and felt her crop this morning before she has eaten but it did not feel totally empty.

I am going to get fenbendazole today - although I’m reading this may not work on tapeworm.

Hi I wanted to follow up with both of you because you were so helpful. I finally got a vet appt and brought her in. She definitely has some sort of crop infection l and they are testing for worms. In the meantime she was put on an antibiotic for the infection (clavacillin) and metoclopromide to try to get her crop moving. They offered all kinds of other treatments/tests ($$$) but I thought I would start with these two and go from there. Her crop hasn’t emptied yet (I’m massaging regularly) but she is acting a bit more energetic and pooping, so hopeful. Now the challenge is getting all this medicine into her beak- she is very resistant!!

Just another update (for others in the same situation)- she did test positive for roundworm & crop infection. We just finished her 10 day dosage of antibiotics & did one dose of deworming so far. She got a lot better and grew back her feathers, but is still so skinny and sleeping a lot.. I don’t know if I will be able to save her. Hopeful she perks up and gets some more happy chicken life…

Deworming should help. I had a chicken with heavy worm load, so I had to deworm her 3 times (10 days between each dose) before she stop having cecal poops. She was skinny before deworming, and recovered very quickly after. I feed my chickens New Country Organic corn free grower, and I just love the results. I ferment their food during spring to fall, and it prevent digestion issues. When I cannot ferment during winter, it's the time they have digestion issues.

Thank you- I feed them the same feed but haven’t tried fermenting.

So- good news!! she seems to have recovered, got her 10 day dose, and is almost back to her original perky self! She has yet to start laying again though.

Just a question to you pros about my other 3 chickens- I want to deworm them before putting her back in so she doesn’t get re-infected. What would you suggest covering the run with so no parasite eggs are left over? It is just dirt now, should I cover it with construction sand?

Back
Top Bottom