Sick Chicken! Yellow poop

If this is a bacterial infection is unlikely it directly contagious so I wouldn't worry about isolating them.

I suggest ordering the antibiotic as soon as you can. Whatever this is isn't likely to kill either hen in the time it takes before you get the med. Meanwhile, keep reporting their behavior and monitor their poop for any changes.

Also, watch for cecal poop. Cecal poop can be an indicator of a blockage in the reproductive tract. As long as you see regular cecals from both hens, there's less of a chance this is due to egg binding.

If this is a bacterial infection is unlikely it directly contagious so I wouldn't worry about isolating them.

I suggest ordering the antibiotic as soon as you can. Whatever this is isn't likely to kill either hen in the time it takes before you get the med. Meanwhile, keep reporting their behavior and monitor their poop for any changes.

Also, watch for cecal poop. Cecal poop can be an indicator of a blockage in the reproductive tract. As long as you see regular cecals from both hens, there's less of a chance this is due to egg binding.
Ok, thank you for your help

2D142968-8385-4DA8-8ADA-B1C15BE26C2E.jpeg

This is her current back end. Not looking so hot, very pink/red and lots of weird green and yellow poop. She has drank a few times on her own but still super sleepy with no interest to eat.

How long has it been since she ate? If she is super sleepy she may be thirsty and hungry I have one chicken who won't eat nor drink on her own but as soon as I made her eat she did much much better. But as fo the poop I can't help with that one

How long has it been since she ate? If she is super sleepy she may be thirsty and hungry I have one chicken who won't eat nor drink on her own but as soon as I made her eat she did much much better. But as fo the poop I can't help with that one
She picked at food until maybe Wednesday. So she hasn’t ate in 2 maybe 3 days. How were you able to get your hen to eat? I’ve tried holding the container up to her and putting it in my had and nothing.

Try feeding your sick chicken along with another one. They suddenly will develop an appetite when they are triggered into competing with another chicken for the food. I find boiled rice with cottage cheese, an egg, or yogurt inspires interest.

Is her lower belly distended or enlarged. It kind of looks like it in the last pictures. That might be a sign of ascites (water belly) or egg yolk peritonitis. Those both can cause yellow urates in the droppings from liver problems. These usually happen in hens over two, but if it is happening this young, I would probably try the antibiotics to help extend her life. If younshould lose her, I would be inclined to get a necropsy by the state vet or do one myself at home, and post pictures here of the organs.

Unfortunately I went into the coop this morning and my sick chicken was dead in her cage.

I’m worried there’s more to this thing my girls are getting. I now have 2 girls with the starting of a runny butt. One of the girls is acting fine while the newest poopy one seems down. It could be she sad over the loss of her sister but I’m unsure. She’s usually all over the place and hyper, but today she’s just standing around. I’m still open to any help anyone can give me.

Is her lower belly distended or enlarged. It kind of looks like it in the last pictures. That might be a sign of ascites (water belly) or egg yolk peritonitis. Those both can cause yellow urates in the droppings from liver problems. These usually happen in hens over two, but if it is happening this young, I would probably try the antibiotics to help extend her life. If younshould lose her, I would be inclined to get a necropsy by the state vet or do one myself at home, and post pictures here of the organs.
Her stomach wasn’t enlarged. I did have that with the bird before this one. She had a large stomach and the runny yellow poop. I tried a variety of things but in the end she was just so big and in pain so we had to put her down.

It may be time to treat the flock with Corid. Can you get some from your feed store? Get liquid Corid and mix two teaspoons into one gallon of water. In addition, do a drench on each chicken that appears sick. Oral syringe .1ml per pound of hen's weight directly into the beak for three days.

An antibiotic should also be given in conjunction with the Corid, preferably a sulfa drug.

Back
Top Bottom