Sick Chicken! Yellow poop

newchickenlady7

In the Brooder
May 30, 2021
Hello,
I have a 8 month old Barred Rock, she has had runny yellowish poop since Monday. She is barely eating and drinking, unless I give it to her. She hasn’t laid an egg since last Sunday and those eggs were more of a beige color instead of her normal brown color. I have been washing her with soapy water and giving epson salt baths. She’s also been getting a tea which I made with oregano and cinnamon. She’s lethargic and can barely move. I have lost 2 other birds to a similar thing and I now I have another bird just starting to show signs of yellow poop sticking to her feathers. She is now starting to poop neon green poop along with the yellow stuff. I could really use some help.
93B94A4A-9350-400F-94C8-BD9B15EE5FC8.jpeg

This is her poop from 2 days ago

Last edited:
I would guess, from seeing the poop and from the description of behavior as lethargic, that this hen has a reproductive infection. That another hen is having the same symptoms, may or may not add credence to this. The key here is "guess".

I would try to rustle up an oral antibiotic in the event we agree that this is likely an issue of infection after we explore the recent laying history of these hens and their diet and calcium source.

Questions:

Any history of poor egg shell quality from these hens?

What is their calcium source? If oyster shell, what is the condition of it? Is it nice well defined particles or has it been reduced to a powdery state?

What is their feed? How many treats and what kind do they get?

Are their nests clean or does poop accumulate in them? Dirty nests can be a source of bacteria that can enter the cloaca and cause a reproductive infection.

Some people refer to calcium carbonate, which is what limestone is, as "grit". It is not grit in the true sense. All forms of calcite (limestone) will dissolve in water and acid. It is an excellent source of calcium for chickens and even people. If you take a Tums for heartburn, it's derived from limestone. It works by dissolving in your stomach acids and fluids and absorbing the excess acid, making your tummy feel better.

True grit (not the classic movie) is granite which is a very hard rock that doesn't dissolve in acid, so it works in a chicken's gizzard like garbage disposal blades to grind up food.

Can you see the difference? Laying hens need calcium carbonate to make egg shells, and they also need grit to grind up the food they eat. They are different and you can't substitute one for the other.
I didn’t realize the difference, thank you for explaining that.
Being I have another bird who is just starting the yellow poop do I need to separate her? Is the infection contagious? She’s currently trying to lay an egg so she hasn’t stopped laying like my really sick one has. Other than the slight poopy butt she’s showing no other signs.

If this is a bacterial infection is unlikely it directly contagious so I wouldn't worry about isolating them.

I suggest ordering the antibiotic as soon as you can. Whatever this is isn't likely to kill either hen in the time it takes before you get the med. Meanwhile, keep reporting their behavior and monitor their poop for any changes.

Also, watch for cecal poop. Cecal poop can be an indicator of a blockage in the reproductive tract. As long as you see regular cecals from both hens, there's less of a chance this is due to egg binding.
Ok, thank you for your help

Is her lower belly distended or enlarged. It kind of looks like it in the last pictures. That might be a sign of ascites (water belly) or egg yolk peritonitis. Those both can cause yellow urates in the droppings from liver problems. These usually happen in hens over two, but if it is happening this young, I would probably try the antibiotics to help extend her life. If younshould lose her, I would be inclined to get a necropsy by the state vet or do one myself at home, and post pictures here of the organs.

It may be time to treat the flock with Corid. Can you get some from your feed store? Get liquid Corid and mix two teaspoons into one gallon of water. In addition, do a drench on each chicken that appears sick. Oral syringe .1ml per pound of hen's weight directly into the beak for three days.

An antibiotic should also be given in conjunction with the Corid, preferably a sulfa drug.
I just picked some up and will give it a try. Thank you

I would guess, from seeing the poop and from the description of behavior as lethargic, that this hen has a reproductive infection. That another hen is having the same symptoms, may or may not add credence to this. The key here is "guess".

I would try to rustle up an oral antibiotic in the event we agree that this is likely an issue of infection after we explore the recent laying history of these hens and their diet and calcium source.

Questions:

Any history of poor egg shell quality from these hens?

What is their calcium source? If oyster shell, what is the condition of it? Is it nice well defined particles or has it been reduced to a powdery state?

What is their feed? How many treats and what kind do they get?

Are their nests clean or does poop accumulate in them? Dirty nests can be a source of bacteria that can enter the cloaca and cause a reproductive infection.
Thank you for the help,
I’ve never had any issues with their shells before her 2 lighters ones. A few “freckle” spots and ombré coloration but nothing like this.
We feed our chickens feed from a local farm that is grounded to almost a powder but has some larger corn pieces. There is ground oyster shells mixed in. They also have a granular layer feed in another feeder. The only treats they get are mealworms. I keep the coop clean no build up of poop.
What would you suggest for a oral antibiotic?

Last edited:
Having the oyster shell mixed into the food isn't adequate for some hens that may need higher calcium intake. For this reason, oyster shell should be provided free choice so each hen can satisfy her own calcium cravings.

The consequences of inadequate calcium is a reproductive system that may not function at optimum levels, risking poor shell quality, inconsistent ovulation, and other reproductive glitches.

I'd hold off on the antibiotic at this time and continue with the calcium supplement once a day for a couple days and see how things shake out.

The antibiotic I suggest is amoxicillin, sold as "fish mox" in pet stores and online. 250mg capsule once a day for ten days. It might be wise to obtain it and have it on hand should we determine this is an infection that needs to be treated rather than a laying issue.

Back
Top Bottom