Sick Chicken

EagleBuffOrp

In the Brooder
May 13, 2015
I have a Buff Orpington hen named Pumpkin and she is approximately 2 years old. For the past few weeks Pumpkin has had a pale comb and her vent has been covered with poop from time to time. I washed the poo off a few days ago and her vent and the area around it seemed to be doing fine. Today I went out to the chicken yard and she was laying down, looking a bit droopy. She lays down a lot but usually gets up once I am around her. I picked Pumpkin up and she had poo near, and on, her vent again. I put her down on the ground and she hopped around for a few seconds but then lay back down and wont get up, clossing her eyes. Even when I mess with her head (My chickens don't usually like to be messed with around the face) she wouldn't do anything. I am thinking of washing her off again and once she dries cutting the feathers off and away from her vent. Any suggestions on what it is or anything else I could do?

Is she eating/drinking?
How does her crop feel?
How does her abdomen feel - hard, soft, fluid filled, etc.?
When was the last time she laid an egg?
What color is the poop?

If she is still unable to get up or move around, you need to separate her with food/water. Give her some vitamins in her water and check her over well.

Let us know how she is.

I don't think Pumpkin was eating, I didn't see her eat when I was out there. I am not sure how her crop felt I didn't check. Pumpkin hasn't laid an egg for a while, not a lot of our Buff Orpingtons do now a days for some reason. They lay more in the spring and winter. Her poop was brown like normal. Unfortunately the day after I made this post she passed away. I would still love to know what was wrong with her for the future. Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom