Alicat4244

Songster
Jun 22, 2017
Tennessee
Ok I've read so much I've confused myself . One of my hens eyes are watery and almost swollen shut . She has no other symptoms. The rest of the flock is good other than a sneeze here and there but all eyes and nostrils are clear . The hen with the swollen eyes has clear nostrils as well. I'm very attentive to my flock so this came quick.I can't get to the store till I get off work tonight so what should I get? How to treat? Should I treat everyone ? And what's the best way to clean her eyes? Sorry for all the questions this is overwhelming sometimes when I work full time . I have 2 full time jobs :caf:barnie

Ok I've read so much I've confused myself . One of my hens eyes are watery and almost swollen shut . She has no other symptoms. The rest of the flock is good other than a sneeze here and there but all eyes and nostrils are clear . The hen with the swollen eyes has clear nostrils as well. I'm very attentive to my flock so this came quick.I can't get to the store till I get off work tonight so what should I get? How to treat? Should I treat everyone ? And what's the best way to clean her eyes? Sorry for all the questions this is overwhelming sometimes when I work full time . I have 2 full time jobs :caf:barnie

Sounds like a respiratory infection. There are several infections including Mycoplasma (a fungus) that can cause watery eyes. Is the discharge foamy? If it is, it's more likely to be Mycoplasma. The best thing to do is see a vet so they can confirm which bug is causing it and prescribe appropriate antibiotics. They will also tell you if you need to treat the whole flock. In the meantime it's a good idea to separate this hen from the rest until she's diagnosed and being treated.

There are broad spectrum antibiotics that may work. Perhaps someone who has more experience dealing with respiratory infections could give you some advice on that.

Sounds like a respiratory infection. There are several infections including Mycoplasma (a fungus) that can cause watery eyes. Is the discharge foamy? If it is, it's more likely to be Mycoplasma. The best thing to do is see a vet so they can confirm which bug is causing it and prescribe appropriate antibiotics. They will also tell you if you need to treat the whole flock. In the meantime it's a good idea to separate this hen from the rest until she's diagnosed and being treated.

There are broad spectrum antibiotics that may work. Perhaps someone who has more experience dealing with respiratory infections could give you some advice on that.
Thank you for your response I appreciate your help.. this site don't seem to help the way it used to

Back
Top Bottom