Sick Chicken

Rebecca Smith

Hatching
Nov 1, 2017
Cleveland, GA
Hi, this is my first time posting and I am a novice chicken owner. Back on July first I had a hen go broody. I moved her and her eggs to a private coop. After 25 days the eggs had hatched and she had broken several. I purchased some chicks hoping that she would adopt them. She rejected them so I have raised them separately. Shortly after getting the chicks I noticed her ‘sneezing’ and not really clucking. About a week later she was wheezing. I always keep a little organic apple cider vinegar in all my chickens water, but gave her a mixture of vinegar and honey a few times. This seemed to help for a day or 2....but her symptoms never went away. I then got a prescription for Baytril. I gave her 22.7 mg each night. After 10+ days she is still sneezing and wheezing. I do not see evidence of any worms, but dosed her with .4ml of Valbazen tonight. I am at a loss and don’t know what else to do for her. She has been isolated in a private coop and only stopped laying for about a week. She started laying again after the Baytril. We don’t eat her eggs. None of the chicks, or my other chickens are showing any symptoms. Any advice is welcome!

Last edited:
I'm sorry your hen is not well.
Can you post some photos of her?

Antibiotics can help with certain respiratory diseases like Mycoplasma which are bacteria like illnesses, but some like Infectious Bronchits are viral, so they have to run their course. Other causes of respiratory distress/symptoms are mold, mildew, fungus and excess ammonia.

How much ventilation is in the coop she stays in, is there any mold or mildew?

C6A66333-444C-4AC0-93D4-41537698B5EF.jpeg
I believe the ventilation is good. How long does a virus usually take to run it’s course?

If it's Infectious Bronchitis, it can take several weeks to clear up if there is no secondary infection. But she would be a carrier for up to a year.

Other respiratory disease like Mycoplasma, a lot of times needs antibiotics to help with recovery. This disease makes birds carriers for life.

Back
Top Bottom