Sick chicken?

Billie Jeane

Chirping
Jul 9, 2022
New to this site and to chickens and have a question! I live in Az and the heat has been a bit brutal. Had a few of my baby chickens get over heated and revived them with bounce back a few weeks ago! Now I have an older chicken acting sick and thought it was from the heat but she is not doing so well even after the electrolytes! I have posted picture to help. She acts very tired like she is always dozing off and doesn't open her eyes. No discharge and I have been force feeding her. Still very lethargic after 3 full days and not sure what to do? Any help would be appreciated!🙏

Attachments

• PXL_20220709_191713919.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220709_191713919.MP.jpg
    408.5 KB · Views: 3
If you have video, upload it to youtube and provide a link.

Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight. Work on hydration and look for lice/mites.
If she's not been laying eggs, then give her 1 Calcium Citrate tablet daily for 3 days.

It can be very hard to know what's going on with a hen. Very often they can suffer from reproductive disorders.
Getting a fecal float to see if worms are part of the issue is always a good. idea.

Here's a link to your 2 other threads about her.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/need-advice-especially-in-az.1537491/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-to-chickens-and-live-in-az.1537443/

I'm having the same issue with my wyndotte. She sits with her eyes closed there's a gurgling noise she scratches at the water bowl like she can't get water down. Her crop was full last night but seems to be empty this morning. She ate a few pieces of frozen corn but mostly she lays down with her eyes closed her head up and her mouth open. I'm hoping more people post replies

Here's my Elenore.
I'm in San Antonio Texas we have had insane drought and stupid crazy heat lately. Yesterday in the coop it was 109. And overnight it doesn't get below 80. She laid an egg yesterday.

Attachments

• PXL_20220711_123515975.jpg
    PXL_20220711_123515975.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 1
I'm having the same issue with my wyndotte. She sits with her eyes closed there's a gurgling noise she scratches at the water bowl like she can't get water down. Her crop was full last night but seems to be empty this morning. She ate a few pieces of frozen corn but mostly she lays down with her eyes closed her head up and her mouth open. I'm hoping more people post replies

Here's my Elenore.
I'm in San Antonio Texas we have had insane drought and stupid crazy heat lately. Yesterday in the coop it was 109. And overnight it doesn't get below 80. She laid an egg yesterday.
Re-check her crop to make sure it's emptying.
Are there any lesions or white/pasty material inside her beak?

Back
Top Bottom