Sick Chicken :(

JORLEE23

Chirping
Sep 13, 2022
Hi There!
I posted a few weeks back about a sick chicken we have. It became very bloated and eventually died :(
That was the 2nd one in a month, and now we have a third one showing the same symptoms starts looking a bit puffy, eyes are a bit swelled.. Still eating and drinking and not lethargic yet... I brought it inside to isolate to hopefully nurse it back to health.
I am worried its going through the whole flock.. Any ideas?? I am thinking its some kind of respiratory infection??

What kind of birds do you have? Where did they all come from? It does certainly sound like something respiratory/viral.

I personally would have any future birds necropsied by your state vet. If and when one passes, bag it and place in refrigerator until it can be sent in. Ideally within 24 hours.

Last edited:
Hi There!
I posted a few weeks back about a sick chicken we have. It became very bloated and eventually died :(
That was the 2nd one in a month, and now we have a third one showing the same symptoms starts looking a bit puffy, eyes are a bit swelled.. Still eating and drinking and not lethargic yet... I brought it inside to isolate to hopefully nurse it back to health.
I am worried its going through the whole flock.. Any ideas?? I am thinking its some kind of respiratory infection??
Welcome To BYC

Can you please post photos of your pullet, her poop and housing? We need to see your birds, not a photo pulled from the internet.

What do you feed including treats?
Age of birds?
In your other thread you listed a few symptoms, did you end up treating for Coccidiosis with Corid?
Check to make sure the crop(s) were emptying? Any water still coming out the beaks of the others or when you pick them up?
Have you given any liquids to them and they aspirated?

Any coughing, sneezing, mucous? Bubbles in the eyes?

Hi Everyone!
New to this- unfortunately one of our little chickens ( 3 months old) have become bloated and falling asleep sitting up, definitely looks sick- does anyone know what this would be?

We had this happen to another one of our chickens a few weeks back. Starts off with it just looking really "puffy" head is tucked in, occasionaly closing its eyes,still eating and playing and then today I came out to check on it and its isolated it self and very lethargic. We have tried giving it vitamins in its water and nothing..

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you !!

a little runny no blood that I have seen yet.
I did pick him up the other day and water came out of his beak. Sounds a bit rapsy but seemed to still be doing well the last few days. This morning when I came out to check on him was when I noticed he wasn't eating and drinking or running around with the other chickens just kinda standing there sleeping sitting up.

rolling acres layer food, and sunflower seeds without the shell.
Age of birds?- Bird is approximately 3 1/2 months old.
3 1/2 months old, likely not laying eggs, so I would feed the pullet chick starter or an all flock feed until they all come into lay. Layer feed has too much calcium for growing birds.

Hopefully photos will be a big help and we can make more suggestions.

oh okay thank you for the suggestion!
we were told to start feeding them layer food, There is a grower option of rolling acres. Would that be better suited for them ?
Looks like that brand also has chick starter so I'd go with that. More protein - Aim for 18-20% protein.

Look forward to the photos of your birds, poop and housing.

What kind of bords do you have? Where did they all come from? It does certainly sound like something respiratory/viral.

I personally would have any future birds necropsied by your state vet. If and when one passes, bag it and place in refrigerator until it can be sent in. Ideally within 24 hours.
Thanks for the reply - we are very new to chickens. They came from a lady who raised them from babies in her home.
We have had them for about 2 months or so.

Is there anything I can give them if it is respiratory??

Please see my answers below: I will take a photo of her shortly along with her housing.

Can you please post photos of your pullet, her poop and housing? We need to see your birds, not a photo pulled from the internet.

What do you feed including treats?- feeding them rolling acres layer food, and sunflower seeds without the shell.
Age of birds?- Bird is approximately 3 1/2 months old.
In your other thread you listed a few symptoms, did you end up treating for Coccidiosis with Corid?- we did not end up treating with corid
Check to make sure the crop(s) were emptying? Any water still coming out the beaks of the others or when you pick them up?- this bird seems to be empty this morning, and the color is coming back into her face. Eyes do not look as swollen. It looks like she had 4 good size droppings this morning, Dark brown in colour with a bit of white.
Have you given any liquids to them and they aspirated?- nope

Any coughing, sneezing, mucous? Bubbles in the eyes?- nope

We isolated her last night in a box with fresh food, fresh shavings and also added some vitamins to her water. She seems livelier, still a bit bloated but nothing like she was looking, very alert I did notice the skin around her eyes are pretty red matching the top of her head. I am not sure if that is a good thing or not? they looked pale yesterday.

Again VERY new to chickens so any help is greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom