Sick chicken

kubaduba1

In the Brooder
Feb 17, 2023
Hello one of my young laying chickens I noticed yesterday being slow and not interested in grazing and pecking . It just lays there like this after walking around a bit and stays laying down . She seems sleepy. She's weak cause when I gently toss her to flap she doesn't flap much for the landing like she used to .it's like she's sleeping when laying down .
I also noticed while she's sitting down he's breathing heavy but not panting

I don't notice any discharge . But recently some of my birds have gotten dry Avion pox on combs and legs.
Any help would be appreciated

Here's a video I just made of her.

Attachments

• IMG_20230704_072443495.jpg
    IMG_20230704_072443495.jpg
    775.9 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_20230704_072334576.jpg
    IMG_20230704_072334576.jpg
    854.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Yes I do notice her dripping clear drops of drool and it stinks . I checked for impact eggs and no egg. It's a cloudy clear stinky drool coming out her mouth . Her crop is not impacted . No food in crop just water .

Last edited:
Is she limping some? I would check for any air under her skin on her chest or side (leaking air sac) from a bump injury. If she is young, coccidiosis might be a problem. It causes sleepiness/lethargy, standing puffed up or hunched, diarrhea, and not wanting to eat or drink. Corid from a feed store is the usual treatment, but sulfa antibiotics are also used. Corid dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder Corid per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Change it daily.

Well I suspected rotten crop so I had a partner have her upsidedown and all the liquid came out.i quickly put her back up. Unfortunately we drowned her doing that and she passed =( it's upsetting.

Okay so I have another one with sour crop . Crop is full of liquid . What do I do this time so I don't kill my chicken please

Whenever my chickens are feeling under the weather, I give them nutridrench or save a chick electrolytes. It helps them perk back up. Also hard boiled egg yolks or scrambled eggs.

Well I suspected rotten crop so I had a partner have her upsidedown and all the liquid came out.i quickly put her back up. Unfortunately we drowned her doing that and she passed =( it's upsetting.

Okay so I have another one with sour crop . Crop is full of liquid . What do I do this time so I don't kill my chicken please

No it's SOUR CROP. HOW DO I FIX SOUR CROP PLEASE .....
Sorry for your loss.

It's unusual to have more than one with sour crop. What are you feeding? Do they have grit available?

Re-check the crop first thing in the morning to see if it's emptying. If it's not, then begin treating according to the article linked below.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Sorry for your loss.

It's unusual to have more than one with sour crop. What are you feeding? Do they have grit available?

Re-check the crop first thing in the morning to see if it's emptying. If it's not, then begin treating according to the article linked below.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
They graze my yard which is an acre . There's plenty of Florida sand. Is grit the same as outdoors sand ? What do I need to buy ? I do not have grit . Thank you so much for replying!!!

Back
Top Bottom