Sick chicken

chickenlover432

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 19, 2014
Proud Aussie
Hey guys, I'm a bit worried. My chicken is very thirsty(drank for 15 minutes) and is going to sleep in weird places. Her poop is really runny, but her eyes are shiny. She's digging a bit and eating worms, but not her seed or treats. She is moving very slowly too. Do you have any idea what's wrong with her? (She is also laying shell-less eggs.) (And she's still very young).

Last edited:
I think first, I would give her a good worming. Is she on a good layer feed? Maybe she needs some more calcium in her diet, like from some crushed oyster shells.

I would think about treating her for coccidiosis with Corid (amprollium, amprol, Ampromed.) It is very common in chickens under 20 weeks, and even older. Symptoms of coccididiosis are lethargy, weakness, sitting or standing puffed up, poor appetite (late) and diarrhea (can be yellow/green/ brown or bloody.) Dosage of Corid (available in the cattle medicines at farm stores) is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid or 1.5 tsp of the powder for 5-7 days. It's best to treat all chickens at one time.

Thanks for your replies guys, it turns out Penny's fine. This morning she got up and screeched her call(she had just lain an egg) and had some seed. Then she had a dust bath. So she looks good(she's also clucking normally;-))

Back
Top Bottom