Sick chickens

christinatata23

In the Brooder
Jan 3, 2016
In the last few weeks I've had several chicks 2 months old and less dying off. They'll be running around one day then next day standing alone puffed up and weak then die. Any clue on what's going on or suggestions on what I need to do? I feel like a horrible chicken momma. Flock has been great up until lately. The weather has been awful and very wet the last month.

The very first thing that comes to mind given the age of the birds and the rapidity of the deaths is coccidiosis. As treatment for it is not going to hurt even if it isn't what is happening I would start immediately and then work through other possible causes -- a coccidiostat is what is needed, Corid being one of the most commonly used.

Coccidiosis may be a problem. Symptoms are lethargy, weakness, standing around hunched or puffed up, not eating, ruffled feathers, and diarrhea with blood or mucus. Corid (amprollium) which is found in cattle medicines from feed stores can treat it. Dosage is 1 1/2 tsp of the Corid powder or 2 tsp of the liquid Corid, per gallon of water for 5 days, as the only water source. Change water daily. Afterward, treat them for a few days with vitamins and probiotics or a little yogurt. Your vet can run a fecal float to doublecheck. The state vet can do a necropsy on a refrigerated body if you lose another. Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom