Sick chickens?

64Galaxie

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 26, 2014
CT
I have 4 red stars. One of them is laying and the other three aren't. I am not sure if they are molting or not anymore. I had made a thread on that 2 weeks ago, and I haven't seen changes in feathers since then. Also, wouldn't a molting hen have a shriveled dry comb/wattles? These guys have normal combs/wattles. They eat, drink, walk right, and everything else. I'm not sure if they have bad feathers due to that red stars are good layers. I've had them for 1 month and they are 1-2 years old. I have a red heat lamp to try and simulate laying, but nothing from them.
Here you can see feather loss, and that their combs are still red. This was a week ago.
This was 3 weeks ago and you can see that from the first photo their hasn't been a change. There aren't any mites, and they aren't egg bound. On all organic feed

looks like molting to me. My girls do the same thing. But if they start showing bold/red spots it can also mean that they are strest. Do you have a rooster? I'm a bit concerned about the ones that don't lay because I think thay usually stop laying at around 3 years old.
This is just my knowledge of what I've had with hens but they should be ok.

Last edited:
looks like molting to me. My girls do the same thing. But if they start showing bold/red spots it can also mean that they are strest. Do you have a rooster? I'm a bit concerned about the ones that don't lay because I think thay usually stop laying at around 3 years old.
This is just my knowledge of what I've had with hens but they should be ok.
Yes, I do have a rooster, the guy that had these also had a few roosters. Although, he does have 50+ chickens. He made sure that they are still laying. Pelvic bones are still far apart. I guess I'll have to wait until late February

Do you have a roo? Maybe he's treading too rough on them.
Yes, I do. He doesn't mate with them too much. He also has 13 hens to choose from and he doesn't really have a favorite girl.

Hm... that seems an unusual pattern that makes me lean away from molting. Since your roo has 13 girls to choose from, that's likely not the problem. Have you checked for lice or mites?

Hm... that seems an unusual pattern that makes me lean away from molting. Since your roo has 13 girls to choose from, that's likely not the problem. Have you checked for lice or mites?
Well, I have one 2 of them. The one that is laying I know is fine. If I can I will try to take pictures. It doesn't seem too dirty near the vent are

Back
Top Bottom