Sick chicks

Justjess0820

In the Brooder
Oct 2, 2021
I am a pretty new chicken owner. I have 2 flocks that are 14 weeks old and they are doing great. I recently got 2 chicks that are just a few weeks old (unsure of age). One of the chicks came down sick. She was lethargic, barely eating or drinking, ruffled feathers, sleeping all of the time and not foraging. She got to the point where she fell over and could hardly stand on her own and had very watery poop. I started her on Corid in her water (I suspected cocci) and after a day of being more alert and seemingly doing better she ended up passing away over night. Now the other chick is showing ruffled feathers and has very watery poop. I have started her on Corid in her water as well. Like I said, I am a new chicken owner and have never had a sick chick. Am I going down the right path with treating with Corid?? I mixed 1.5 teaspoons in a gallon of water and she is still drinking on her own. What else can I do for this baby?

I am a pretty new chicken owner. I have 2 flocks that are 14 weeks old and they are doing great. I recently got 2 chicks that are just a few weeks old (unsure of age). One of the chicks came down sick. She was lethargic, barely eating or drinking, ruffled feathers, sleeping all of the time and not foraging. She got to the point where she fell over and could hardly stand on her own and had very watery poop. I started her on Corid in her water (I suspected cocci) and after a day of being more alert and seemingly doing better she ended up passing away over night. Now the other chick is showing ruffled feathers and has very watery poop. I have started her on Corid in her water as well. Like I said, I am a new chicken owner and have never had a sick chick. Am I going down the right path with treating with Corid?? I mixed 1.5 teaspoons in a gallon of water and she is still drinking on her own. What else can I do for this baby?
You are doing the right thing.
The only thing I would do in addition to what you are doing is to drench her. Give her about 1/8-1/4 tsp directly in her beak once daily for 3-5 days in a row in addition to the Corid water you have her on.

You are doing the right thing.
The only thing I would do in addition to what you are doing is to drench her. Give her about 1/8-1/4 tsp directly in her beak once daily for 3-5 days in a row in addition to the Corid water you have her on.
I am using the powdered Corid. Would I just use the gallon mixture and dose with 1/8 out of it?

Here's the drench dosing directions. Make sure the chicks are also drinking the mixed Corid water too.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/corid-amprolium-oral-drench-instructions.7439
Here's the drench dosing directions. Make sure the chicks are also drinking the mixed Corid water too.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/corid-amprolium-oral-drench-instructions.74391/
Thank you so much!!
Sorry if this is a dumb question. How do I know how much to drench? It says to go by weight in pounds/grams but I don’t have a scale and I don’t know how much she weighs

Quick question…I’m double checking. Above, there was mention of giving 1/4 tsp (1.25 ml) Corid, but the link for drenching instructions says give 0.1 ml per pound or 0.02 ml per 100 grams. That’s a big difference. Thank you.

Quick question…I’m double checking. Above, there was mention of giving 1/4 tsp (1.25 ml) Corid, but the link for drenching instructions says give 0.1 ml per pound or 0.02 ml per 100 grams. That’s a big difference. Thank you.
Liquid Corid oral drench is .10ml per pound of weight. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/corid-amprolium-oral-drench-instructions.74391/

The drench is in addition providing Corid water (2tsp Liquid Corid to 1 Gallon Water) as the only source of drinking water for 5-7 days.

Back
Top Bottom