Sick chicks???

OhioGirl

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 11, 2013
Tipp City, Ohio
I have two chicks that have been sneezing and sound junky almost like rales when they breathe heavily (usually from excitement of being handled more than normal). I have separated them from the other 8 and at first they looked tired and very sluggish. They have improved in activity but still don't sound normal and are still sneezing. I now also have a third chick in with the rest that has started sneezing. They have not shown any other symptoms like drainage from eyes or nostrils. They are in fresh clean bedding and have cleaned food and water dishes.

Are regular sinus infections common for chicks? Do I need to medicate them?

Sickness is regular in animals (and humans) until their diet and environment make it difficult for disease organisms to take hold. Freshly minced raw garlic is a specific treatment for many things including respiratory diseases. It contains dozens of natural antibiotics which have been proven to kill bacteria etc that the most powerful man made antibiotics cannot. I'd add it to some other treat if they're not keen on the taste or just won't try it alone. One clover per three chicks should be sufficient. Treat also those that aren't showing symptoms as it's basically guaranteed that they also have the disease. Garlic is antiviral, antiseptic, antibiotic, antimicrobial, antiviral, antifungal, and much more. When it's freshly damaged the enzymes interact to create Allicin, a very powerful antibiotic which unlike artificial antibiotics doesn't harm good bacteria; in fact garlic is also prebiotic and feeds good bacteria.

Best wishes with them.

Are regular sinus infections common for chicks? Do I need to medicate them?
You should never consider any disease causing infections to be inevitable or normal. The healthy body fights infections and overcomes many pathogens every single day, keeping them in check. When it is not a peak health, pathogens can dominate the immune system's defenses, and then infection can set in.

You do need to medicate them, or chances are they will die. Birds in particular are more likely to die from respiratory infections than some other species, particularly babies, and this is contributed to in no small part by the sheer overuse of artificial antibiotics. They have their uses, but the overuse has us facing an epidemic of superbugs.

If you choose to use them, then best wishes with that, but please, at least try garlic. It's dynamic not static, subtly unique in composition in each individual plant, so pathogens cannot acquire permanent immunity to it like they can to unchanging static artificial antibiotics which also harm the animal.

Diseases humans can catch from poultry are killing humans because the same man-made antibiotics being used to treat the disease in humans have already been chronically overused in poultry, so the disease is immune to them.

Back
Top Bottom