Sick Chicks

BrandiG

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 29, 2015
I have 4 almost two week old orpington chicks who are sneezing. I've only had them 4 days and they're eating, drinking, and moving around. The first night after I brought them home, one had what looked like blood mixed in her stool but hasn't since and none of the others have had it. I thought maybe it was stress from the move, but I don't know what to do. None of my other chicks have been sick. Please help!

Are they sneezing a lot or just occasionally? If their brooder or coop is dusty, they could be sneezing occasionally from that. But if they have a respiratory disease that possibly was spread to them by a carrier bird, then they could need antibiotics such as Tylan or oxytetracycline. LS50 is also used in chicks. They should not be near any others if they are sick. Blood in the stools, along with looking lethargic, puffed up, or weak, diarrhea, and not eating well could be coccidiosis. That is treated with Corid (amprollium) in the water. If you treat for that, treat all birds, changing water daily. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days.

I have them in the house away from my others. I'm using pine shavings as bedding material but may change it to see if that could be the cause. Only the one chick out of the four had a bloody stool once Saturday night and I thought wasn't having anymore but had one again this morning. None of the others have had that. They're eating and drinking well and seem to have plenty of energy. They sneeze maybe once every 10-15 minutes. When they sneeze, they've got a a discharge because I hear something hit the side of the brooder box every time they sneeze. Should I go ahead and treat with the Corid since the bloody stool has returned in the one chick and also treat my outside birds as well? My outside birds are 7 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom