MysticPoultry101

Songster
6 Years
Jun 28, 2017
I have a 5 month old Swedish Blue hen and Ive recently noticed that she has been acting very unusual. She is hardly eating but will drink plenty of water. Her crop is filling and Emptying as normal, so i dont thing it's Pendelous Crop. She wont walk, But will instead scoot herself around. When she tries to walk, she just stumbles. Her Hips pop whenever she moves her legs and she just seems super lethargic and Clingy to me, Which is very unlike her.

We have been giving her Electrolyte water and Foods such as duck pellets, Peas, Egg, And Yogurt. She has been staying inside since yesterday. She means the world to me and I would hate to lose her.

Attachments

• 20201229_151333.jpg
    20201229_151333.jpg
    509.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20201229_151249.jpg
    20201229_151249.jpg
    451.1 KB · Views: 9
Do you have a picture of her feces?

It's hard to determine what exactly may be her problem since her signs are fairly non-specific, and could indicate a wide load of possibilities. Egg binding or toxicosis of some sort would both be good guesses.

For now, focus on keeping her hydrated, and if she is not eating much, try offering treats such as warm feed mixed to a soupy consistency, or scrambled eggs. Considering that she is egg bound, you could give her a calcium supplement (Corbdee has mentioned which ones you can give. Over the internet, there is only so much we can suggest. If you have an avian vet near that you are experienced with poultry, that would likely prove the best prognosis for her.

https://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm

Do you have a picture of her feces?

It's hard to determine what exactly may be her problem since her signs are fairly non-specific, and could indicate a wide load of possibilities. Egg binding or toxicosis of some sort would both be good guesses.

For now, focus on keeping her hydrated, and if she is not eating much, try offering treats such as warm feed mixed to a soupy consistency, or scrambled eggs. Considering that she is egg bound, you could give her a calcium supplement (Corbdee has mentioned which ones you can give. Over the internet, there is only so much we can suggest. If you have an avian vet near that you are experienced with poultry, that would likely prove the best prognosis for her.

https://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm
I dont have any pictures currently, but it was Green and Looked like our other ducks' Feces. We did an inspection and Could feel an egg in her, But it was quite far. I gave her a soak, Got her some calcium and special duck food, and put some Vaseline around her Vent, So now we're just waiting an hour to see if the egg moves at all.

I dont have any pictures currently, but it was Green and Looked like our other ducks' Feces. We did an inspection and Could feel an egg in her, But it was quite far. I gave her a soak, Got her some calcium and special duck food, and put some Vaseline around her Vent, So now we're just waiting an hour to see if the egg moves at all.

Acknowledging you felt an egg, it's possible the egg is pressing up against her obturator nerve; that can cause weakness and even paralysis in both legs. In addition to the treatment you've done so far, keeping her in a humified warm room may induce passage of the egg, and provide easier breathing for her.

Acknowledging you felt an egg, it's possible the egg is pressing up against her obturator nerve; that can cause weakness and even paralysis in both legs. In addition to the treatment you've done so far, keeping her in a humified warm room may induce passage of the egg, and provide easier breathing for her.
The Egg is not moving at all and Im not sure what to do, We arent able to bring her to a vet, and nothing we are trying is working

Back
Top Bottom