Sick duck? New to ducks need help

Jackanddianesmom

Songster
Dec 3, 2019
North jersey, USA
I have 2, 2 month old pekins. Jack (the duck) has red in the white of his eyes, I've been giving him tub time hoping it would help with his eyes but they are still red. We keep them inside in a pen bc it is below freezing temps where we live and I've heard they are still too young to be outside in the cold. Today when I went to check on them jack sneezed at least 5 times. They have been eating and drinking and cleaning themselves but I am still getting worried about jack. Anyone have advice on what it could be?

Do you have diapers or an easily cleaned section of the house or other area that's climate controlled? Maybe keep them indoors until the temperature rises a bit. I have zero first hand experience with poultry of any kind, but I've been doing a lot of Google research. Does Jack seem to have trouble with his sight? If not it could be just something from his capillaries - scary but not harmful. Hopefully others here can give you a more complete/accurate answer.

First can you post pics so we can see what your talking about? Pics help a lot. Sneezing doesn’t always mean sickness it can be from dusty bedding dusty feed dry conditions inside the house. Do you have a bowl deep enough so they can dunk their heads wash their eyes out and their nares?

If you zoom in jack is on the right and you can tell his eye is red, it's hard to get a close up that's not blurry. And yes their bowl is large enough to dunk their heads in

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191203-174339_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191203-174339_Gallery.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 12
Hard to see but if it is irritated you can get Terramycin eye ointment some feed stores will carry it TSC may call around. If you have or can get a saline solution like for those who wear contacts you can rinse his eyes out. Make sure their bedding stays as fresh as possible because ammonia can build up from their waste and cause respiratory issues. Do you see any discharge from eyes or nares and rattling or congestion when he breathes? Two cute Pekins you have there. Oh and how’s their appetites? are the dogs good with your ducks?

:welcome I typed this out yesterday evening and forgot to hit send. :(

What about putting some ACV in the water @Miss Lydia ? That’s what we did with with MyGuy..when he had foamy eye...or is this totally unrelated. I see you already have them inside...as long as they are fully feathered, ducks are fine to be outside in those temps. What you’ll need to watch for is their feet for frostbite,so just make sure they have plenty of layers of nice straw or hay/bedding in their warm pen. But, yes, it does need good ventilation as Miss Lydia explains due to the ammonia..but with only two ducks and regular cleanings it shouldn’t be bad.
Also welcome to BYC! You will eat many great people on here who will teach you many things about how to care for your animals! I couldn’t be doing it without this place! Also, we love pictures so please feel free to post them soon! We look forward to learning more about your duck family and hope to help you too! Welcome from all of us at BYC! Keep us posted on the adorable Pekins!!

What kind of acv tabs ? I bought teramycin, I will give it to them tonight after they are done with their bath. I have the heat lamp on all the time, could that be irritating their eyes? Also they are still yellow, but have feathers.. is that considered fully feathered?

Can you post pics? How old?ACV liquid? Can you get it? Iv’ e never used tablets. Terramycin eye ointment? What type of bulb are you using In Your heat lamp? Red shouldn’t bother them but do you know the temps in their brooder? They look old enough they May not even need heat if inside.

Last edited:
They were born the first week in october so they are about 2 months old, yes eye ointment. I dont know the temp but it is a red bulb. I can try the acv, but can I use it with hydro hen? Its dextrose powder.

Back
Top Bottom