While she's so wobbly, I don't know if she'll be able to stimulate her preening gland or not. I would just make sure she's getting in some warm water a few times a day. You could gently splash some water on her, trying to not startle her. You *might* notice a yellowing spot over this gland until she's able to properly preen herself again. I wouldn't wash her in any other soap. Just plain clean warm water. I noticed her right leg and foot in the video and they look normal. Does her left leg and foot look OK too? Any areas that seem hot or swollen?
There's just as much chance that she does have a neurological problem that could have happened during the move. Continue with that b vitamin daily. I think I did it twice a day. How are you giving this?
I am putting it on top of Quack Snacks. Durvet
Vitamin B Complex

Some vet's prescribe it and others do not. It's not supposed to be given to animals that produce food or will be butchered for food. I should have mentioned that. I have used it and know many that have. It's all got to do with that being such a powerful antibiotic and the fear of resistance. I tossed eggs for months and don't plan on eating my birds. As for the clavamox, I was unaware of it being illegal, but that doesn't really help us out right now. Tylan certainly has its place, so I'd definitely try it. I'm happy he's being helpful 💜

Of course I'm not a vet and don't want to come across like poser 💜 I am familiar with that feeling of desperation in trying to help my cherished and loved pet duck. It's hard to see them unwell so I'm just sharing things people have helped me with or I've tried over the years. Hopefully some of the other folks will chime in with their thoughts on this soon.

Annabelle Video

Hi everyone. I am a new duck owner and desperately need some guidance!

On July 2nd, we were gifted a male and female duck. They are somewhere between 4 and 6 months old. The previous owner did not have a body of water for them- just a baby pool- and that is all I know about their previous conditions.

The male, Albert, is healthy as can be. White as snow, waddling all over, and noisy as ever.

Annabelle is not. From the get go she was not normal. However, the previous owner said she had been fine, so at first I was thinking she was disoriented from the move. I quickly realized that not to be the case.

We tried to put her in the water but she wasn’t buoyant. She was slightly sinking. Knowing absolutely nothing at that point, I quickly read some forums and thought maybe she had Wet Feather. We followed the bathing instructions and kept her out of the water but saw no improvement.

She is also very dirty looking because she’s not grooming (her under feathers looks healthy and clean), bobbing her head up and down constantly, and can only take a step or two, if that, without falling over. Because of this, I am taking food and putting it right in front of her several times a day. I am also constantly cleaning out the water and adding electrolytes to it. I watch her to ensure she is eating and drinking.

After I realized Wet Feather was not the culprit, I did more research and was so convinced she suffering from a possibly severe Niacide deficiency. For one week, I have been giving her somewhere between 1 and 2ml of Durvet in her food daily. I err on the side of more since so much can be left unconsumed when it scatters.

Since I was not seeing improvement, I took her to the vet yesterday. It was an awful experience. Not only was the vet cold and rude, he seemed unknowledgeable about ducks (despite me asking before making the appointment). He told me he hadn’t heard of Wet Feather and completely dismissed that (which I know that’s not what is causing her issues- but it is a real thing??)

He went on to say he doesn’t think antibiotics will help. And he said he doesn’t believe it’s Botulism, as the ducks didn’t previously have access to a large body of water (Of course, after doing my own research, I now know they can contract Botulism in many different ways- not just dirty pond/lake water.)

He ultimately told me it is a neurological issue and nothing can be done. He said there’s a small chance she can “come out of it.”

I was heartbroken and more confused than before I took her to him. So I contacted a local lady who has a farm for sick and abandoned ducks. She asked for a video. Link to video at the very top of this post- She specifically asked to see her feet, which is why I do that in the video.

She looked at it this morning and told me Annabelle has Botulism and nothing can be done. I have been doing my own research since, and I don’t know if she is right. Based on my research, it’s extremely uncommon for a duck with Botulism to survive more than 24 hours. Also, if I understand correctly, Botulism paralyzes their muscles and prevents them from eating. Annabelle can eat and drink just fine.

Today, I read some more forums on here and purchased some Vitamin E capsules. I started adding the liquid to her food.

I know it may seem ridiculous to some since we haven’t even had her two weeks, but I love Annabelle. She is the sweetest thing and has brought us so much joy. I want to do whatever I can to help her heal- and keep her comfortable in the mean time.

I would do anything to see her happily swimming in the pond with Albert. He is her protector and will not leave her side, so he is also not swimming in the water. They live in the chicken coop and j bring them out onto the grass for some time in the sun everyday.

Please, if anyone can offer me any advice, stories from experience, thoughts, guidance, etc., I would be so very appreciative! The more knowledge the better.

A couple of other notes:

- She had, what the vet told me was, a slightly elevated temp: 106.4

-A secondary concern is a hawk getting her while I’m not outside. I just feel bad keeping her “cooped up” all day. I would appreciate others thoughts.

Like I said, I am clueless to this and just want to do what’s best. I am truly trying my best and I am here to learn, so please don’t judge me if I have taken the wrong course of action so far.

Thank you in advance!

UPDATE:

I went outside to check on Annabelle and couldn’t find her anywhere. Finally I found her in the pond! She made her way all the way down there somehow! Hopefully this is a good sign?

Unfortunately she is still slightly sinking and is shivering. I think this video of her swimming could be very helpful in determining what’s wrong. All help in determining best next steps is appreciated. Thank you!

Video- Annabelle Swimming
Hi! That all sounds very stressful for you. Even though you've had her a short time, I can understand that you love her already. They're incredible animals to be around! It isn't ridiculous at all!
So my first thought is I agree with the earlier diagnosis of wet feather-- that is, I believe she is getting wet and her buoyancy is off. Since you mention she is shivering and all too.
This could be a symptom of a larger issue, not separate or complete. Or it could be a separate issue, but you mention she isn't preening which is obviously why she isn't waterproofed- So I would assume it is a symptom of the bigger issue.
you mention having treated her with bathing and keeping her from the water-- can you elaborate? Some people use a type of dish soap when treating wet feather, which usually won't cure it due to stripping the natural oils from the feathers-
Since she now has access to the water again(?) she should be preening and spreading her oils- but isn't doing this at all? Have you had a look at the oil gland? It's right at the base of the tail, and you should see a slight yellow colour around it, and you should feel the oils there. If it looks inflamed or blocked/dry, that could be part of the issue.
I would definitely keep treating her with niacin/Bcomplex. Do you know what feed they were on previously? What are they fed now?
If you feel her legs, can you feel any heat, swelling or other abnormalities in them?
I'm assuming they aren't laying yet. If you feel her abdomen, does that all feel normal? Not inflamed or anything? Does her faeces look normal? No bright greens or yellows, just normal similar colours to what theyve been eating, same consistency as Albert's?

NatalieBrooke88

I was tagged, above. Although I have a few pekins, I have no experience of botulism in ducks! Poor Annabelle!

I do think from the video and history, that the duck has a neurological condition. Treating neurological conditions in pekins with high dose niacin is always a good idea.

That the duck got herself down to the pond is great news and perhaps a sign that she has turned the curve and is now on the way to recovery -- I think you should keep up the Durvet throughout.

I think that the swimming is OK and should be encouraged -- she has a slightly 'dipping' swimming style but that is caused by her underlying condition. Swimming is good exercise for her.

Personally, I would keep her penned up near the house while she is sick as she is vulnerable to predators, and just have her swimming under supervision as often as you can during the day. I have a temporary dog exercise pen that I keep on my patio when I need to keep a duck separate from the others -- or if I need to keep a duck nearby the house. They can also be used in the house if there is a need to keep a sick duck in the house. You might consider getting one for Annabelle or making a temporary pen with stakes and chicken wire. Albert(a) will be able to come right up to Annabelle's side so she won't be left alone.

I am unsure why the vet would say it is illegal to prescribe antibiotics. Enrofloxacin 10% will treat a wide range of bacterial infections in birds. It can also be used to treat respiratory problems, liver, urinary tract, and some skin infections, as well as infections from wounds.

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/enrofloxacin-10

If she is starting to get better, I would hold off treating her with antibiotics as the only sign of infection is a slightly raised temperature. If she deteriorates, then there maybe nothing to lose by treating with Enrofloxacin 10%. I think y ou can get it from Tractor Supply, or on line.

The mention of nares in comments above, is referring to a duck's need to fully immerse the head and blow out through their nose [= their nares] to clear any mucus if they are sick, or debris if they get stuff in there while foraging. The most common item in my ducks' nares is white down and I remove that for them. A child's wading pool is fine for ducks -- yours are lucky to have access to a nice pond. It's also best to have a deep tub for ducks drinking water so they can submerge their heads in there too.

Do keep us updated on Annabelle's progress. Good luck to you and her

So baytril is not FDA approved. So it isn't illegal, but you can't sell or eat her meat or eggs. This is mainly aimed at commercial industries. Baytril is similar to an antibiotic used in humans and they don't want to create antibiotic resistant bacteria. However, after a couple weeks the last dose there is no trace of the antibiotic in their system and would be safe to eat eggs or meat. This really doesn't have effect you though.

Looking at her, her floating issues reminds me of ducks that have had leg issues and problems with strength. They have a hard time holding their body up. @HollowOfWisps uses rooster booster poultry cell and seen it help a lot. It has a lot of other good vitamins and minerals in it as well that can possibly help with the ducks overall nutrition.

It also does look like the duck has wet feather, which may be due to the duck having other issues with strength. If it takes a lot of effort to preen, she may not be preening properly. I could see this issue going away as her main issue goes away.

Back
Top Bottom