1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Sick Duckling?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Alexandra33, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Hi, everyone! I got a beautiful little Black East Indie duckling on Thursday, and everything had been going smoothly until tonight. I noticed while cleaning the brooder that this particularly zippy baby is unusually lethargic. It attempted to walk a few times, but those tiny legs seem weak. Something doesn't seem right about the way it moves its neck, either, but I can't place what's going on. [​IMG] I'm currently giving Nutri-drench until we can grab some niacin if that's what it needs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks in advance!
    ~Alex

2. Ashleymarie529

Ashleymarie529 Chirping

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX
    Definitely looks like a sick baby. Nutridrench is great. Niacin will help. Is she eating or drinking? You may have to mix some food and water in a bowl (a very watery paste) and feed her with a syringe.

@Miss Lydia
    @casportpony
    @Amiga
    @GoldenFlight

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would get the little to a vet a.s.a.p.

Is she passing anything? Pooping? Do her feet and bill feel any warmer than other ducklings? What is the brooder temperature? Do they have water 24/7? Wondering if she could be overheating, or have an infection.

@Alexandra33

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  4. Is your brooder too warm?........Have you provided any grit?....Ducklings will eat a bit of the shavings......Give her a bowl of sugar water to drink.....wet the feed to a soupy consistency .....

Poor Baby.....:(

Best of luck......

Cheers!

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

@Alexandra33 How is your duckling this morning?

6. Thanks SO much to everybody for your kindness and help, it is truly appreciated more than you know. [​IMG] But sadly, my sweet little one passed away before I got a chance to put any advice into action. [​IMG] I don't think their brooder is too warm.....the other two ducklings and 9 chickies seem perfectly fine, healthy, and content. We have a 250w bulb in, but it's adjusted pretty high.

@chickens really , I've never given grit before a week of age, however, do you think I should? If it would be beneficial for the rest of the quacklings, I will certainly do so! [​IMG]

~Alex

7. Yes.....Sprinkle it on their feed every couple of days or so.....Like adding pepper to our meals....Just a little bit.....Tsp...about.....:)..;)

Cheers!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017

8. Oops......also.....sorry the baby passed away.......:(

9. [​IMG] To a person that loves pepper, that makes sense! [​IMG] Alright, will do! [​IMG]

Thank you. [​IMG] I appreciate it.

~Alex

10. NathanZee

NathanZee Songster

I'm so sorry Amari! [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by