Sick ducklings having seizures

I know this maybe a long shot but I'd try some liquid B complex neurological issue can be helped if this I something like that. You can get it at TSC in the cattle dept or human at Walmart. Neither were startled right before the seizure?

Okay, I did read about the startling thing last night and then she was just so sickly this morning, (I really thought she was dead!) I kind of forgot about it. She didn't seem startled the first time but later when I would try to peek in on her (very quietly) I would say she could have been startled. When I've tried to adjust her into a more comfortable position, she's had a seizure.

I've moved everyone around and moved the cayugas to a box and they actually seemed better in the box. She was propped up and holding her head up and seemed way less lethargic so I just moved the box into the dog crate. They have some water in the box but no food. It's been since last night since she's eaten so I grabbed a handful of food and dropped it in the box. When I did that the runt/male cayuga had a seizure. Also when I was trying to give the female some water was when he had his first seizure (he was about a foot away at the time) So I was just coming here to relay that. What is with the startling thing? I am on my way out for an event I can't miss but will be close to a walmart and will run there afterwards. I've already checked the app and they have the B-complex liquid in stock. Do I drop it directly or mix it into the water? They're not drinking much. And like I said, the one freaked out when I tried to give the other water from a dropper.

I guess I need to research this further. I mean do they grow out of it? They've been handled a lot, hand fed, and don't fuss at being held. Especially the runt when we go outside, he's just happy to sit on my lap. How do I get them in and out of the brooder without a seizure every time?

Let them know your coming before hand. If they are under a heat lamp then turning in a light isn’t startling them I always start talking before I get to the brooder. Coming up on to them or over them can startle like a predator sneaking up on them. Yes they do grow out of it. @CayugaJana had one or two of her duckling do this and Cayuga. As for the b complex liquid if you can get them to eat put the b complex over that whether it’s dried meal worms, peas something they really go for or wrap in a towel and try to do tiny drop right along the bill. You really don’t want to water it down. Do you know the temp in your brooder? Do you think they are cold?

Yes go to Walmart and get the dropper bottle of b complex in the vitamin aisle. Give each duckling a coupl dropper fulls each day. It might be easier if one has a seizure to give it some right after they come to since they are really calm for a few minutes. Try it for a week and see if the seizures get less and less.

They seem marginally better this evening. Both sitting up instead of totally slumped over--I mean I was checking their breathing each time earlier because they were bad!

I was certain to talk to them the whole time I was sitting there and move slowly. The female took the B Complex right out of the dropper through the slats of the crate. She then drank some water but really won't eat still. The male hopped up and drank some too but fought me on the dropper. I put some of the B complex in the water so he'll at least get something.

I don't think there were any toxins in the sink just because before I filled the sink, there'd been some flour that got wet and hardened and I really had to soak it/scrub it with a lot of hot water (only) so it was pretty clean. But I still put in some activated charcoal in their water just to cover the bases.

So I feel somewhat better tonight. The female stood up briefly even but couldn't stay standing. Again, better than the limp, lifeless duckling she was 12 hours ago.

I truly appreciate everyone's help! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I will definitely check back in--hopefully with good news.

Back
Top Bottom