Sick/dying chicks

Day two of medication, I made the water solution yesterday and also used the French on 5 of the 11 chicks. Today, I made the water again, and used the French on all the chicks, because two more are acting lethargic. I found one dead this morning, and the other one close to it, who was dead an hour later when I came home from my workout. Did these two pass because I didn’t get them medicated soon enough? The one that was still barely alive this morning was only slightly lethargic, and had no diarrhea and still was eating and drinking.

Coccidiosis can kill quickly, it's hard to know how much damage is done to their digestive tract. Did you lose the one in your last picture? It looks discolored and bloated (unless that is a normal skin color for that breed?), I've never had one look like that with coccidiosis, but I've always started treatment right away. With coccidosis, the quicker you start treatment the better, but I can't say for sure that that is the only thing going on. I would continue treatment with the Corid and I will see if some others have any other suggestions for you.
@Wyorp Rock , @Eggcessive , @Texas Kiki , @casportpony

Coccidiosis can kill quickly, it's hard to know how much damage is done to their digestive tract. Did you lose the one in your last picture? It looks discolored and bloated (unless that is a normal skin color for that breed?), I've never had one look like that with coccidiosis, but I've always started treatment right away. With coccidosis, the quicker you start treatment the better, but I can't say for sure that that is the only thing going on. I would continue treatment with the Corid and I will see if some others have any other suggestions for you.
@Wyorp Rock , @Eggcessive , @Texas Kiki , @casportpony
Yes, the one in the above picture died over night, and this color is much more purple/blue/dark then the normal grey skin color. Thank you, i’ll Keep treating, and keep my birds penned up since it just rained.

Do you have any more that are bloated?

You mention you are doing the Drench, but you also have mixed Corid water for them to drink too right?
The Drench is in addition to drinking the water for 5-7 days.

It would be good to check their vents several times a day to see if they are getting clogged up.
What are you feeding the chicks? They may do better for a few days if you feed them wet chick starter instead of dry. I would also make sure they have a source of chick grit (crushed granite).
Keep your water stations cleaned. I know with chicks I normally need to clean them several times a day even if I place the station on block, chicks kick bedding around and sometimes they get poop in the water.

Do you have any more that are bloated?

You mention you are doing the Drench, but you also have mixed Corid water for them to drink too right?
The Drench is in addition to drinking the water for 5-7 days.

It would be good to check their vents several times a day to see if they are getting clogged up.
What are you feeding the chicks? They may do better for a few days if you feed them wet chick starter instead of dry. I would also make sure they have a source of chick grit (crushed granite).
Keep your water stations cleaned. I know with chicks I normally need to clean them several times a day even if I place the station on block, chicks kick bedding around and sometimes they get poop in the water.
Yes, I have the water solution as well. I give grit and oyster shell every Saturday, but I’ll defiantly make sure they have access every day. None of the others are bloated, but one has been keeping his eyes closed a lot, which is unusual because he isn’t very tame and hasn’t been running or chirping when I pick him up, but no more bloating.
I’ve been dumping the trays every hour, and refilling it (I didn’t fill the entire waterer, just fill the tray so it doesn’t get wasted when they scratch stuff into it.)
Four that incubator hatched are being fed chick starter, and 5 with a broody hen are fed it, but have starting eating grain and pellets scraps from the ground and in other pens. I’ll try to soak some starter. Thank you!

Four that incubator hatched are being fed chick starter, and 5 with a broody hen are fed it, but have starting eating grain and pellets scraps from the ground and in other pens.
Are the chicks eating layer feed? If they are, then I would use an all flock/flock raiser type feed for everyone.
It makes it much easier instead of buying separate feeds and worrying about chicks eat layer feed.

Are the chicks eating layer feed? If they are, then I would use an all flock/flock raiser type feed for everyone.
It makes it much easier instead of buying separate feeds and worrying about chicks eat layer feed.
No layer, (for the Bantams/show birds in the garage, which is where these chicks are/will be) I feed all my birds the same, it’s a feather fixer pellet that I start around molt and before show season, then I feed another pellet (can’t remember the exact name) from the same brand that has less oils/proteins than the feather fixer that they don’t need Year long. The chicks haven't started eating just that yet, they are still a little too small. At some point i’ll start mixing some pellets into the starter and slowly take the starter crumbles out until they are eating just pellets.

There’s also a chick that is showing different symptoms. She keeps her eyes closed, walking around like that too, and only opens them occasionally to find her friends or to eat./drink. The eyes look slightly sunken in, and look wet, and when they are open are squinted. She also makes a yawning motion a lot. Is this related to cocci, or is it something different?

83F1F81F-F6FA-466D-80D6-E5ABE537BB1A.jpeg 6B0AE656-4680-4B4E-8E2E-204FEEDD3164.jpeg 53574A92-79C5-4AFA-8575-114351B2C782.jpeg EB6686B5-4ACF-46F5-A9E2-C1C5EE351CA6.jpeg A97F33FD-798B-4736-A240-780B1920A35A.jpeg

No layer, (for the Bantams/show birds in the garage, which is where these chicks are/will be) I feed all my birds the same, it’s a feather fixer pellet that I start around molt and before show season, then I feed another pellet (can’t remember the exact name) from the same brand that has less oils/proteins than the feather fixer that they don’t need Year long.

The chicks haven't started eating just that yet, they are still a little too small. At some point i’ll start mixing some pellets into the starter and slowly take the starter crumbles out until they are eating just pellets.

There’s also a chick that is showing different symptoms. She keeps her eyes closed, walking around like that too, and only opens them occasionally to find her friends or to eat./drink. The eyes look slightly sunken in, and look wet, and when they are open are squinted. She also makes a yawning motion a lot. Is this related to cocci, or is it something different?
Do you have a photo of the feather fixer bag?

The chick in the photo looks like it has some swelling around the eyes. The sunken eyes with looking wet, she may be suffering from respiratory infection like Mycoplasma, but an eye infection from something else is a possibility. Taking her to the vet or sending some swabs for testing would be the best way to know what's going on ther.

Look inside her beak for any canker/plaques or lesions. The yawning might be she has something in her beak or she's adjusting her crop. The crop should be completely empty in the morning before she eats/drinks.

I feed all my birds the same, it’s a feather fixer pellet that I start around molt and before show season,
Feather fixer... is still very high in calcium which birds in molt do not need.

I recommend Purina flock raiser... 20% protein and 1% calcium... fed to ALL my birds ALWAYS with ouster shell available free choice on the side for those still actively laying. It is also high in the amino acids that help with feather quality and such.

Regardless of what feed we use... calories... aka energy, only comes from 3 sources... fat, carbohydrates including fiber, and protein.

If you do wet the feed... I would do so with the medicated water. Otherwise it counts as a another source.

Hang in there! :fl

Back
Top Bottom