Sick Easter Egger Pullet

PouletNOLA

Hatching
Nov 8, 2019
Hello. My Eater Egger pullet was found lethargic in the coop Tuesday morning. She is breathing open-mouthed and unable to stand. I took her to the vet who tested for parasites and gave her a shot of Ivomec. He also gave her fluids. Her temp was normal. She was perkier on Wednesday but still not able to stand and still breathing with an open mouth. There is no sound to her breathing and no chirps. She is able to scoot around the box I have her in to eat a bit and drink water. No other chickens are exhibiting these symptoms.

I have looked for obstructions in her throat and found none. I gave some olive oil and massaged her throat in hopes that I could knock something loose but there was no change. There does no appear to be anything stuck in her crop.

I am looking for any ideas or anything that I can try at home that might work to build her strength back up. Our vet has been supportive but we are both in agreement to not perform any further testing. Thanks in advance.

Does she have weakness in one leg or wing? If you pick her up will she move both of her legs? Are either of her toes curled under? Does her neck look normal? Did your vet ever mention the possibility of Mareks disease? How do her poops look? Pictures of her the way she is sitting or lying, and of her poops are welcome.

When I pick her up, both legs move. Her poop on Tuesday was normal. They have been runny and brown, since. I don’t have a recent photo. She has not been eating much But she is drinking. Not much change since Tuesday except she is more alert. Her neck looks normal. Vet did not mention Mareks and he was able to examine stool sample.
3216AE94-5D3F-4923-9CEE-0879B5B46DB4.jpeg

Unfortunately I would be concerned that she has Mareks or something very serious. You may want to get a weight on her with a small kitchen scale to keep track of her weight to see if she is losing. Mareks is best diagnosed with a necropsy by your state vet after death, unfortunately. There could be something else going on affecting her ability to walk. There are chicken slings one can make to get them up and in front of food and water. Here is a link about them:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

My pullet died over the weekend. However, the vet offered to perform a necropsy. He just called and stated that the only abnormality was that he noted was that she had a lot of rocks in her gizzard. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom