"sick" goat

Sylverfly

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Northeastern Michigan
Just picked up my two new goats they are three month old does. They seemed fine when I got there, no signs of trouble. Well on the way home I noticed one of the does seemed to be standing odd, I thought maybe she was not used to traveling in a car. She still seems ok, no fever, low temp, discharge, injuries, no bloating. But I will see her standing in the typical sick goat pose curved back, back legs together slightly bent ears and tail down, and eyes closed. Then she will seem fine not the perfect posture but nearly normal and running around and eating, drinking, pooping, peeing. Then back to that sick posture. Whats going on I've called the vet but the drs are all out and will call me when they get in. what could be wrong. I don't think they had the best upbringing, no pasture, tough stemy hay, sounds like they ate mostly grain. I haven't let them out on pasture yet, and they are eating the same brand for grain, the only differences are the hay (mostly grass hay) and the access to lose goat minerals. She doesn't seem bloated and her sister is fine. They were never wormed could worm overload cause this in a 3 month old, or is this just stress related illness or something worse. Please advise if you know, I'm worried.

No real help from here I'm afraid but have you tried feeling her all over to see if you can locate any soreness ? Could be although she is not bloated that she has tummy ache, it could be coming in spasms and that is why she is fine one minute and looking tucked up the next, what is her colour like, is she pale, I am sure you know how to see but just incase, pull her bottom eyelid down and look at the inside, you can compare it to your other goat(s) Good that she is pooing peeing and eating, hope the vet gets back to you very soon, hopefully someone with more knowledge will be on the forum soon as well X

Thanks for the response, I checked her color, it was a little pale but not too bad. By the time the vet called she seemed better she wasn't having those moments as often and was holding her tail up more. The vet thought it sounded stress induced like it was a bit of a shock for her with all the activity and transitions. She's a little homesick I guess, she seemed to be really good friends with another doe kid there it was just the three of them in the pen, they both cried a lot when she was put in the car but someone else had bought her friend so I could not take her too. I need to drop off a stool sample from both of them at the vets and make sure its not worm-city. If she seems worse tomorrow she will need to be seen.

Glad she is getting over it, sounds like she is getting the best of care
thumbsup.gif

So I'm starting to think my little goat is blind (I think she can make out shapes and shadows) and deaf, is there a way to tell I can try at home? I'm going to take her to the vet and have her looked at but I think thats whats going on. I separated her from her sister (Gracie) today her sister cried and my little one (sugar) didn't seem to respond normally. She tried to find her and couldn't on her own she walked along all the fence lines without even getting close to finding Gracie. There is a section of goat fence that runs along the goose fence, Gracie hated the sound the geese made and wouldn't go near them Sugar wasn't bothered at all and I had to go move her so the geese wouldn't pinch her through the fence. When I snap my fingers by Gracie's ears she twitches and when I clap she jumps Sugar shows no reaction. Sugar will come to me but only if I'm pretty close or if its really bright out. Sugar can't find things if I move them she just runs to where things were and when things stay the same she bumps into them before she finds what she's after. She seems fine in their stall and inside the barn, but when I take them outside she acts funny. She stays near the fence and barn if alone she likes to keep her side or head touching the barn. If you put her where nothing is around her she looks up and puts her head on her shoulder and walks forward then stops then walks. She likes to have her neck or head touching Gracie's shoulder, hip, or side if they are outside. I'm wondering if that other goat kid acted as her eyes and ears at her former home, if she is blind and deaf this must be terrifying for her she's in a new place has no idea whats happening around her where anything is and her friend that she relied on is nowhere to be found, she must be so scared and feel so lost. She is a light blonde/white with pink nose, and hoofs.

If she is blind and deaf can she live a normal life? Or is she going to need special care and if so how much? after we see the vet I'm going to email the person I bought her from, I'd like to keep her she's such a sweet little goat, but I can only afford so much in the way of caring for her. I paid $100 for her and was told she was in good health, I'd think if you had a goat for three months you would notice she was blind and deaf. If you knew you should inform the buyer for sure and I would assume sell at a reduced price since you shouldn't/ couldn't breed her. I'm going to ask for a refund or another doe if the vet confirms this (hopefully she won't need too much extra care and the seller won't want her back so I can keep her). But if I was in her shoes I'd try and work with the buyer if an animal I sold was not what I advertised it as, hopefully she will feel the same way.

Oh dear, it will be interesting to hear what the vet has to say, I hope whatever the outcome you will feel able to keep her but I do understand your concern about any extra costs, if it is simply that she is deaf and blind then she shouldn't need any meds etc but you will have to decide if she can live happily or not
hu.gif
Yes you should contact the seller and if he is responsible he should refund you or something but I have a horrible feeling he may do the " I'll take the faulty one and give you a new one or your money back" They know that often people won't want to give the animal back as you know what will happen to it
sad.png
Good luck X

Wow, I am so sorry this happened to you. It really does sound like she is blind/deaf. If you do decide to keep her or are not able to work something out with the breeder, you could try asking for advice on TheGoatSpot.com. There are many knowledgable breeders on their who I am sure can answer some of your questions and help you out. I raised dairy goats for a few years and that forum was very helpful whenever I needed help, and everyone was very nice. I only encountered a goat like this one time, she was not deaf, but definitely partially blind. For the most part she got around good as long as she stayed with the herd, but I didn't have to do anything special for her. Hope everthing works out with your new goats.

Back
Top Bottom