Sick hen after losing the same breed within the last month...

If I have a bird that is acting 'off' I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling. Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

If I have a bird that is acting 'off' I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling. Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.
We do have a crate that we use when one of the girls get broody. Today I considered putting her in there to keep her away from the others but worried about the cold. I didn't even think about the monitoring piece. I think I will try this tomorrow, fingers crossed she makes it through the night. Thank you!

We do have a crate that we use when one of the girls get broody. Today I considered putting her in there to keep her away from the others but worried about the cold. I didn't even think about the monitoring piece. I think I will try this tomorrow, fingers crossed she makes it through the night. Thank you!
How cold is it?
She may benefit from some electrolytes...I like to use the Sav-A-Chick brand.
@BantyChooks taught me about 'cold reset'. I bring bird into the slightly warmer garage for just a couple-few hours. Makes sure she eats, give her a dose of electrolytes, see what's coming out the other end, and just observe. Then take them back out to coop, has 'saved' a few here, it's pretty amazing how they bounce back.

Birds can get dehydrated in winter as well as summer so I've started soaking rolled oats in a Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins solution.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.

full

How cold is it?
She may benefit from some electrolytes...I like to use the Sav-A-Chick brand.
@BantyChooks taught me about 'cold reset'. I bring bird into the slightly warmer garage for just a couple-few hours. Makes sure she eats, give her a dose of electrolytes, see what's coming out the other end, and just observe. Then take them back out to coop, has 'saved' a few here, it's pretty amazing how they bounce back.

Birds can get dehydrated in winter as well as summer so I've started soaking rolled oats in a Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins solution.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.

full
I now have an inventory of the electrolyte/vitamin packets. Is there any harm in me just giving them some of this - to be safe? Our remaining four hens all seem to be doing good but I am on high-alert for any signs of anything! I can't see how giving them all some vitamin/electrolyte water could be harmful?

I can't see how giving them all some vitamin/electrolyte water could be harmful?
Nope, no harm to give a dose once every couple weeks...
....just make sure they also have plain water available.
...and if it's freezing out, better to use oatmeal to soak up the solution to avoid wattle wetting.

Nope, no harm to give a dose once every couple weeks...
....just make sure they also have plain water available.
...and if it's freezing out, better to use oatmeal to soak up the solution to avoid wattle wetting.
Perfect! They will be getting some shortly! Happy New Year, thanks for the guidance.

Back
Top Bottom