Sick hen, not sure how to diagnose.

Darcwaynard

Hatching
Sep 25, 2021
Good day all I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I had noticed similar posts but I didn't want to hijack anyone's thread.

I have a pullet hen that is acting strange. First of all she was 2nd hand so I'm not sure exactly how old she was. I was told she was 2 years old but I suspect it might be older than that. She lives with 2 roosters and 4 other hens.

She stopped laying eggs at one point and we noticed she was standing in the middle of the yard (they free range in the afternoons) not moving and when approached she would slowly move away. She did not eat much during this period. After few days she started acting normal again again and began laying eggs once more, although the shells were thinning out and the odd one would break in the layer box. We suspected a calcium deficiency do we tried feeding dried crushed egg shells for a few days and that seemed to help.

This lasted about 2 weeks and now she's stopped laying again and exhibiting the same strange behavior where she just stands there kind of spaced out. She might stay in one spot for up to 2 hours before moving a bit to get to the next spot where she will freeze again for a while.

I'm worried it might be mereks, but she doesn't seem to be paralyzed at all or showing any other signs. I did noticed a sore patch on her back where the wing meets the body but I don't know if that's the rash from mereks or from getting pecked. She is kind of puffed up and hunched down so I was also thinking she is egg bound but I haven't had to deal with that yet so I can't be sure.

Attached is a pic of Rosie from this morning.

Anyhow thanks for any help you can offer and I look forward to participating in the forums!

Attachments

• Rosie.jpg
    Rosie.jpg
    492.8 KB · Views: 2
Good day all I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I had noticed similar posts but I didn't want to hijack anyone's thread.

I have a pullet hen that is acting strange. First of all she was 2nd hand so I'm not sure exactly how old she was. I was told she was 2 years old but I suspect it might be older than that. She lives with 2 roosters and 4 other hens.

She stopped laying eggs at one point and we noticed she was standing in the middle of the yard (they free range in the afternoons) not moving and when approached she would slowly move away. She did not eat much during this period. After few days she started acting normal again again and began laying eggs once more, although the shells were thinning out and the odd one would break in the layer box. We suspected a calcium deficiency do we tried feeding dried crushed egg shells for a few days and that seemed to help.

This lasted about 2 weeks and now she's stopped laying again and exhibiting the same strange behavior where she just stands there kind of spaced out. She might stay in one spot for up to 2 hours before moving a bit to get to the next spot where she will freeze again for a while.

I'm worried it might be mereks, but she doesn't seem to be paralyzed at all or showing any other signs. I did noticed a sore patch on her back where the wing meets the body but I don't know if that's the rash from mereks or from getting pecked. She is kind of puffed up and hunched down so I was also thinking she is egg bound but I haven't had to deal with that yet so I can't be sure.

Attached is a pic of Rosie from this morning.

Anyhow thanks for any help you can offer and I look forward to participating in the forums!
She could be egg bound, feel her crop.

im not to sure, keep giving her some calcium to make sure she gets enough, and make sure she eats enough water/food,

does she seem sad? Have diherrea? Etc

sorry i couldnt help much :( I hope shes okay

She could be egg bound, feel her crop.

im not to sure, keep giving her some calcium to make sure she gets enough, and make sure she eats enough water/food,

does she seem sad? Have diherrea? Etc

sorry i couldnt help much :( I hope shes okay
After a bit more ready I would suspect that she's egg bound. I'm going to give her some epson salt baths and extra calcium and hope that helps. Thanks!

You can rule out being egg bound by inserting a clean finger into her vent about 2 inches. Older hens can have reproductive disorders, such as salpingitis, internal laying, and I think she may have something similar. What do her poops look like? Pictures are helpful. Is her crop emptying by the next morning if you check it first thing? Impacted or sour crop can accompany reproductive disorders. All of those conditions can lead to lethargy, inactivity, preferring to sit, and other signs. Many times we cannot know for sure what was really boing on until a hen dies and a necropsy is done. I do necropsy all of mine that I lose. Check her for lice and mites, and consider worming her with Valbazen if she has not been wormed recently.

Update: Our hens behavior returned to normal and after some time she has started laying good eggs again! I still have no idea what happened with her but this is a great outcome. Thanks for the suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom