Sick Hen... Not sure whats happening! Arizona

btifulriot

Chirping
Jan 23, 2019
Hi Everyone,

Arizona resident here, so maybe I can get some input from some Zonies…

I have a cute little 6 month old hen who is getting super lethargic, falling over herself, and being last to all food/waterings throughout the day. We found her in the backyard laying out at night (all the chickens usually coop up by themselves). We brought her inside and gave her some electrolytes with water, hoping to make her feel a little bit better. The poops look healthy. I am worried that it could be heat stroke? We also have Corid 9.6% just in case, but I'm hoping that she doesn't have cocci. I am thinking of taking her to the vet tomorrow just in case.

She could have heat issues, coccidiosis, or something else. Fluid and electrolytes will be important. How hot is it these these days? I would limit her exposure to heat for a couple days for sure. If you can manage a vet, that is always a great idea.
Its about 110F during the day, but all the chickens have shade, dust, and water at all times! The coops are clean, she doesn't have any mites, and there is no rattling of breath. Ill try to keep her indoors for the next few days, see if that works. I'm hoping that a little bit of AC and electrolytes will make her feel better!

Its about 110F during the day, but all the chickens have shade, dust, and water at all times! The coops are clean, she doesn't have any mites, and there is no rattling of breath. Ill try to keep her indoors for the next few days, see if that works. I'm hoping that a little bit of AC and electrolytes will make her feel better!
She could not be drinking water if you add some black sunflower seeds to a bowl of ice water it will encourage them to drink.

Can you ice the water? I’ve also heard of freezing gallons of water for them to lay against it even freezing sheets of ice in shallow plastics tubs they can put their feet in or even just water for them to wade in. Misters can also help in dry heat.” Heat can be pretty hard on them.
Yes you can ice the water and it will be good for them.

Can you ice the water? I’ve also heard of freezing gallons of water for them to lay against it even freezing sheets of ice in shallow plastics tubs they can put their feet in or even just water for them to wade in. Misters can also help in dry heat.” Heat can be pretty hard on them.
We freeze water and put it out every night and every morning. Shes been drinking water and eating no problem.

Back
Top Bottom