Sick hen, paleness, lethargic and spot on tongue

BarelyBirding

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2020
One of my year and a half old black sexlink hens is sick. There is definitely something going on but I’m not sure what. She has been a bit lethargic lately, but still eats and drinks and gets around fine. Her comb and wattles are pale, and when I looked inside her mouth she had a nasty red spot on her tongue. Not sure if it’s disease or if she bit it on accident. She’s (along with all my other birds) have been vaccinated for marek’s, fowl pox, new castle, avian encephalomyelitis. None of my other birds appear sick. shes Stopped laying, a long with a couple of my other hens (one of which is broody). Also, she has some genetic abnormalities like missing middle toe, and keyhole pupil which’s she’s always had.

I’m not sure what to do, she doesn’t seem in pain, just a bit lethargic and pale. Could it be worms or parasites? I want to help her as best I can...she’s been I’ll like this for the past week. and she doesn’t seem to have have mites/lice But does look like she may be molting.

any advice would be appreciated!!

Attachments

• 3B22DFDB-EE00-41CD-A7D0-0DBA399DBA0C.jpeg
    3B22DFDB-EE00-41CD-A7D0-0DBA399DBA0C.jpeg
    461.4 KB · Views: 26
  • A49872AA-7083-4248-AB92-03C7DB32397A.jpeg
    A49872AA-7083-4248-AB92-03C7DB32397A.jpeg
    479.8 KB · Views: 15
  • AB8B5A3D-75F9-4714-BF2B-D68B2AAFD66C.jpeg
    AB8B5A3D-75F9-4714-BF2B-D68B2AAFD66C.jpeg
    573.1 KB · Views: 14
  • A543F77D-11BB-4F6B-A255-1644B3F42FBF.jpeg
    A543F77D-11BB-4F6B-A255-1644B3F42FBF.jpeg
    604 KB · Views: 15
You bird does not look well.
Is a vet visit an option?
at what age was your bird vaccinated for Marek's?

She was about three days old when vaccinated for marek’s. Vet could be possible, but I’d have to drive far away. I live in a small rural town with no avian vets nearby.

I will say her left keyhole eye has always been that way. Her other eye looks fine too, they both react to light.

I read that sometimes the comb can go pale when chickens molt, she is molting. But that doesn’t explain the nasty spot in her mouth. Does anyone know how to treat oral sores in chickens? I have antibiotics I can give her.

Not sure that it’s canker... there are no other spots and there is not yellowness or crusting. It seems more like an open sore, it’s been bleeding on and off all day. It’s very red. To me it looks like it’s a puncture wound that isn’t healing. I haven’t done anything to treat that yet, but I have started her on some antibiotics. I did buy some canker medication and can use that if she doesn’t get better on antibiotics. Her paleness could also be anemia if she’s been bleeding from her tongue like this for a week... hmm im just not sure what’s making her ill. She does try to eat, but when I felt her crop it was a bit empty. I think her tongue spot is making it hard for her to eat. Should I try crop feeding?

Back
Top Bottom