Sick hen please help

Danielkent

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2017
Hi I've returned from holiday and found what I thought was all three girls broody. (My chicken sitter has said she had all three down every other day to play) I got the corn out and all but one came running. On further inspection my Black 2yr old Silkie bantam stumbled up and just sat by the entrance to the coop. She's sick and I mean really sick, her eyes are closed, she's keeps stumbling and struggles to stand. Her tail is tucked under her and she seems to be shaking her head every now and then. She wasnt eating or drinking and her rear was full of hard feces. I've bathed her in warm water to clean her and to help if she may be egg bound. I've checked to the best of my ability and I can't feel any eggs. I e checked her wing and coop for mites and lice there's none. I've got her in a hospital box with water, apple cider vinegar and layer pellets. After bathing her and removing the feces she opened her eyes a bit more and drank but didn't move much or eat at all. It's raining so I've put her back in the hospital box and she is currently standing which I haven't seen her do since I found her.

I will be taking her to the vets tomorrow but has anyone got any ideas??

Hi I've returned from holiday and found what I thought was all three girls broody. (My chicken sitter has said she had all three down every other day to play) I got the corn out and all but one came running. On further inspection my Black 2yr old Silkie bantam stumbled up and just sat by the entrance to the coop. She's sick and I mean really sick, her eyes are closed, she's keeps stumbling and struggles to stand. Her tail is tucked under her and she seems to be shaking her head every now and then. She wasnt eating or drinking and her rear was full of hard feces. I've bathed her in warm water to clean her and to help if she may be egg bound. I've checked to the best of my ability and I can't feel any eggs. I e checked her wing and coop for mites and lice there's none. I've got her in a hospital box with water, apple cider vinegar and layer pellets. After bathing her and removing the feces she opened her eyes a bit more and drank but didn't move much or eat at all. It's raining so I've put her back in the hospital box and she is currently standing which I haven't seen her do since I found her.

I will be taking her to the vets tomorrow but has anyone got any ideas??[/QUOTEdoes

Is she underweight (can you feel her breastbone prominently protruding?) and what do her pasty feces look like? I hope your little girl feels better soon! just trying to help.:)

I'd see how she's doing as vets can be an expensive trip mine once had feces around her vent so trimmed her feathers gave her some fruit and she seemed healthier the next day (still with us 5 months after) if you have removed her from the rest of her flock silkies can become rather lonely so put in a small teddy or something in their to make her feel less alone!

I'd see how she's doing as vets can be an expensive trip mine once had feces around her vent so trimmed her feathers gave her some fruit and she seemed healthier the next day (still with us 5 months after) if you have removed her from the rest of her flock silkies can become rather lonely so put in a small teddy or something in their to make her feel less alone![/QUOTE

I will wait until tomorrow so it's not out of hours but just worried she'll deteriorate. She now has a Teddy so I'll keep an eye on her

She may be dehydrated...water is more important than food right now.
Is she drinking water good?

I syringed some into the side of her beak before bathed her. But she then drank a lot of water (mixed with apple cider vinegar) after I bathed her but hasn't touched it since while in the hospital box.

Give her water right away. If you have electrolytes add them or you could also give Gatorade or Pedialyte. A small pinch of salt and a tsp of sugar per liter or quart will help some. Is it possible that they went without water? That can cause dehydration and constipation. Once they are drinking, and hold a small cup up to beaks or dip beaks into water, you can then offer some chopped egg or tuna for treats to get them eating their chicken feed. Broody hens will usually get off the nest to eat and drink, but sometimes can become weak. Is your coop small and hot inside? Windows with wire fencing can help air circulation. I am hopeful that you can save your girls. I would immediately try to break their broody spell by keeping them in a large dog crate with food and water, and No bedding. A small roost is good. Good luck.

She definitely feels under weight, but has fluffed/puffed herself up so It's hard to notice. Feces was yellow and pasty and smelt really really bad. She pooed after I cleaned her up it's was white runny with 2 black solids. So do I thank you

She definitely feels under weight, but has fluffed/puffed herself up so It's hard to notice. Feces was yellow and pasty and smelt really really bad. She pooed after I cleaned her up it's was white runny with 2 black solids. So do I thank you
Try feeding her some yogurt with live (can't remember the name) "bugs" in it they will help clean out anything bad in her gut and her calcium levels will go up has she recently laid?

On your vets box where are you keeping her as if outside in a shed might be horrid for her - if it's cold put a blanket over the charge so it's darker but leave air spaces and if you can bring her into the house with the cage she needs to stay warm!

Back
Top Bottom