Sick hen please help

She definitely feels under weight, but has fluffed/puffed herself up so It's hard to notice. Feces was yellow and pasty and smelt really really bad. She pooed after I cleaned her up it's was white runny with 2 black solids. So do I thank you

Could you post a pic of the smelly, yellowish droppings? I have several theories...

Vent Gleet: Vent gleet is caused by an PH imbalance and overgrowth of bad bacteria in the chicken's system. It is basically a yeast infection in a chicken. Symptoms are: lethargy, drop in egg production, diarrhea and very stinky, yellowish pasting on and around the vent and weight loss. However, I have never encountered a hen with vent fleet that displayed serious signs of illness though so if that is in the equation, it may be only an outward symptom or consequence of a more internal issue. Treatment: Probiotics supplements, ACV (apple cider vinegar) diluted in water and anti fungal cream applied topically to the vent.

Overheating: How hot is it where you live? (I know you mentioned it was raining over there but it just rained over where I live while it was 90F at the time). When chickens get overheated, they may get smelly, runny (but sometimes textured with solids or lumpy) yellow droppings, be severely lethargic, pale, weak and may loose weight as a consequence of the physical stress. Overheating most common with broody hens in the summer, since they are in the nest box and may not properly hydrate themselves or move to a cooler area. Treatment: plenty of water, electrolytes/vitamins, a cool and comfortable place to be and rest.

As I said, these are just theories. I don't know enough to give a solid diagnosis but I hope that this helps. :) I also hope your little girl feels better soon!

Give her water right away. If you have electrolytes add them or you could also give Gatorade or Pedialyte. A small pinch of salt and a tsp of sugar per liter or quart will help some. Is it possible that they went without water? That can cause dehydration and constipation. Once they are drinking, and hold a small cup up to beaks or dip beaks into water, you can then offer some chopped egg or tuna for treats to get them eating their chicken feed. Broody hens will usually get off the nest to eat and drink, but sometimes can become weak. Is your coop small and hot inside? Windows with wire fencing can help air circulation. I am hopeful that you can save your girls. I would immediately try to break their broody spell by keeping them in a large dog crate with food and water, and No bedding. A small roost is good. Good luck.

No electrolytes on the shelf and we really struggle to get Gatorade in the uk. I'll try the salt and sugar, I've also got vita boost I can give her alternately. No they definitely had water the whole time as I filled three drinkers and one was still full when I returned. I will try the tuna too as she still isn't interested in the later pellets. Yes to be honest it is rather small coop and it has been warm, I'll make some extra vent holes this evening. Thank you

On your vets box where are you keeping her as if outside in a shed might be horrid for her - if it's cold put a blanket over the charge so it's darker but leave air spaces and if you can bring her into the house with the cage she needs to stay warm!

I don't think she has laid recently but I've been away for three weeks, the chicken sitter said she collected eggs daily but that could have been from the other girls. This ones particularly broody and would steal and sit on any eggs. I've got the box indoors so she's nice and warm and seems to have drank through the night! She was also standing last night which I haven't seen her do since I've got back.

Could you post a pic of the smelly, yellowish droppings? I have several theories...

Vent Gleet: Vent gleet is caused by an PH imbalance and overgrowth of bad bacteria in the chicken's system. It is basically a yeast infection in a chicken. Symptoms are: lethargy, drop in egg production, diarrhea and very stinky, yellowish pasting on and around the vent and weight loss. However, I have never encountered a hen with vent fleet that displayed serious signs of illness though so if that is in the equation, it may be only an outward symptom or consequence of a more internal issue. Treatment: Probiotics supplements, ACV (apple cider vinegar) diluted in water and anti fungal cream applied topically to the vent.

Overheating: How hot is it where you live? (I know you mentioned it was raining over there but it just rained over where I live while it was 90F at the time). When chickens get overheated, they may get smelly, runny (but sometimes textured with solids or lumpy) yellow droppings, be severely lethargic, pale, weak and may loose weight as a consequence of the physical stress. Overheating most common with broody hens in the summer, since they are in the nest box and may not properly hydrate themselves or move to a cooler area. Treatment: plenty of water, electrolytes/vitamins, a cool and comfortable place to be and rest.

As I said, these are just theories. I don't know enough to give a solid diagnosis but I hope that this helps. :) I also hope your little girl feels better soon!

I stupidly didn't take any photos before cleaning her up, but it was literally yellow paste which had hardened around her rear. It hasn't been hot I would say maximum 73f but if she has been sitting in the coop for a large amount of time it could be heat/ dehydration related. Would a chicken not drink or feed to this point when broody?? Thank you for your help!

I don't think she has laid recently but I've been away for three weeks, the chicken sitter said she collected eggs daily but that could have been from the other girls. This ones particularly broody and would steal and sit on any eggs. I've got the box indoors so she's nice and warm and seems to have drank through the night! She was also standing last night which I haven't seen her do since I've got back.
She sounds like she's getting better every chicken is different with broodiness but try break the habit as soon as possible but putting ice in an old cloth and place it instead of the egg they will get off if it gets cold

I stupidly didn't take any photos before cleaning her up, but it was literally yellow paste which had hardened around her rear. It hasn't been hot I would say maximum 73f but if she has been sitting in the coop for a large amount of time it could be heat/ dehydration related. Would a chicken not drink or feed to this point when broody?? Thank you for your help!

I am not positive how bad it can get but beep, one of me broody silkie crosses, gets thin, lethargic and dehydrated if I don't keep an eye on her when she is in her broody stage. :(

Being broody for long periods can really make them weak. I didn't realize you were gone that long. The 2 silkies I had became broody every other month driving me crazy. They never stayed on the eggs to actually hatch any. I would always take them out to break them when they would start being broody, or they would become starved. I do hope that your silkie can be saved, perhaps with some tube feeding or subcutaneous fluids given by your vet.

Last edited:
Being broody for long periods can really make them weak. I didn't realize you were gone that long. The 2 silkies I had became broody every orher minth driving me crazy. They never stayed on the eggs to actually hatch any. I would always take them out to break them when they would start being broody, or they would become starved. I do hope that your silkie can be saved, perhaps with some tube feeding or subcutaneous fluids given by your vet.

thank you, I've left her with the vet. He discovered an abscess on her tongue and is worried she may have more internally. He has got her on antibiotics but she's really not looking good and wish I would have taken her out of hours somewhere last night now, but fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom