Sick hen (update: now dead) part of a 6 month death party PICS Page 2

Quote:
Could you put a link to the hread you are talking about? I would like to read it.

Ok, I guess I need to look harder for mites...

I would think that she sould have grown in the feathers by now. Plus, she never lost any more feathers than just her neck. Yet I do hope it is a molt, 'cause that would mean she''s not sick!

http://poultrycommunity.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-2835.html The 3rd or 4th post from the bottom, but that isn't what I was reading yesterday. It could have been on my Chickens 101 list.

Also in Raising Chickens for Dummies http://books.google.com/books?id=nJ...v=onepage&q="walnut shavings" chicken&f=false is the link at Amazon to the info, but it is on page 124 of the actual book.

Sorry I can't find yesterday's post.

Quote:
Could you put a link to the hread you are talking about? I would like to read it.

Ok, I guess I need to look harder for mites...

I would think that she sould have grown in the feathers by now. Plus, she never lost any more feathers than just her neck. Yet I do hope it is a molt, 'cause that would mean she''s not sick!

I haven't been here in a while but I thought I would add some info.

i haven't changed the shavings yet, it is kinda hard in winter with all the snow! however, I haven't had any more sickness or deaths. I will get it out asatsg (as soon as the snow's gone!).

My cockoo is alive and still in the garage. I am afraid to put her back in for fear that she still is a carrier of whatever she had. Also, I noticed a bunch of feathers in her cage the other day, and I am wondering if that is mites or if it is boredom? I haven't looked at her skin, but I will do that tomorrow. If she has mites, what would be the best treatment?

Thanks again for all the info over the weeks. Hopefully this 'no-go' streak will keep up!

I thought that I was off the hook, since I haven't had any problems for 2 and a half months. But no, looks like I am in for more trouble.

Fowl pox is still kinda in my flock. I will see a bird with a spot or to once in a while.

My other barnevelder is sick. She isn't necessarily droopy, but she is super uncoordinated, tripping and falling all the time. I have isolated her but I have no idea what to do.

I found a faverolle with a huge bulge on the side her head today as well. Looks like it is pus filled. I isolated her, and again, not sure really what to do.

Well, there you have it. I know no one reads this anymore, but I just had to write out my disappointment/anger/melancholy/ morose feelings right now. I just feel like a failing chicken owner when I try so hard to have a happy, healthy flock.

Ok I guess that was my pity party.
smile.png
I'll slap myself and get back to real life.
smile.png

If anyone is reading this, I would love ANY help. Here is a link to the to threads about the two most recently sick
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=463888
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=463891

You must be terribly frustrated. I have no ideas, being pretty new to this myself. I hope things work out. How many chickens do you have now? How many appear in good health, vs. not feeling so well. Do you think all of them are carriers? Or infected?

Oh no.
sigh.gif
So sorry to hear.

I think you need to go back and spend the time to tear the shavings out and do a full blown CSI on the coop and ground where they go. Maybe get a new set of eyes (another person) to help you from missing something? Have you had any of the birds checked after they passed on?

I'm struggling with the health of my birds right now too, and despairing because I have 32 eggs in the incubator and I'm afraid the chicks will get sick and die. Some of my birds are healthy and some are slowly declining with diarrhea, weight loss, and now my roo has broken feathers and more falling off broken half-way.

hugs.gif
hit.gif

Thanks for all the encouragement.

How many chickens do you have now? How many appear in good health, vs. not feeling so well. Do you think all of them are carriers? Or infected?

I have 21 chickens (that includes my two guineas). The rest look healthy, excluding the fowl pox. Some seem to be going through a partial molt though. I have noticed a few with feathers lost around their head and under their beak.

I think I need to start doing things like worming and dusting. I haven't noticed any problems with worms/parasites, but I think I should try these things. A friend of mine recommended garlic as a wormer, anyone else have experience with that?

As far as parasites, I guess I could just put DE in the nest boxes and in the bedding, right? Or I guess I have to dust each individual bird then again in 10 days? Should I even Dust if I am not sure if they have parasites?

When I clean the coop with disinfectent this spring, is there anything extra I should do given all the sickness I have had? Is that a good time to use a dusting chemical?

Thanks​

Hello, just read your thread. really sorry you are having such a bad time. I do think you need to get those shavings out of there, it might be your whole problem or just making things worse. It might help to spray the coop with pyrethrin to kill lice and mites. You REALLY need a real wormer, not garlic. You have some very ill birds and they need to be wormed and dusted with the "big guns". DE and things like garlic might be ok to prevent, but you are way past that. I would get the Eprinex Ivermectin pour on wormer. It will get internal worms and kill mites and lice too. It goes on the back of the head on the skin. There is no egg withdrawal so you can still eat your eggs. It is packaged for cattle, but works fine on poultry too. You can also dust with poulltry dust or sevin dust. That will get the external parasites and you could put wazine in the water for the internal worms. I think you have to re-treat in 14 days with wazine.

Are the birds getting insoluble grit to eat? They also need oyster shell for calcium. Are you feeding layer food? What is their main food source?

Also, the next time you have a bird die try to keep it cold, outside where a predator can't get it should be fine. Call your nearest State Veterinarian (USDA) to have the bird examined and necropsy done ASAP. This is free in many states. This is the ONLY way you can find out for sure what is killing your birds. But, for now do the simple things. Get the shavings changed to the commercial bagged stuff, and worm and treat for external parasites. That is a great start and needs to be done at some point anyway. Even if you don't see anything on the birds. Good luck, I hope a healthy flock is just around the corner for you. These things can be so frustrating.
hugs.gif

Oh, oxine is a great disinfectant and will kill loads of germs and viruses. You can spray that and it is also very safe to use around yourself and your birds.

Back
Top Bottom