Sick hen with possible vent gleet

Evangitron

Chirping
Dec 5, 2018
hello, I have a 7-8 year old cubalaya hen who a week or so ago started to have this horrible smell like rotten stuff and so when she didn’t seem as active I decided to check her vent and she has yellow and green poop matted all over her feathers and with a rotten smell. So we started giving her Epsom salt baths and also doing the ACV and electrolyte water but she seems to be getting more weak and we’ve tried putting fungal cream on her butt the last few days as well. She has no energy but she does peck at cucumbers and had been pecking at Greek yogurt a few days ago as well as eating cat food days before that (my three hens love it) we’ve been keeping her in and separated and she just wants to sleep a lot and you can feel the swelling of her back side and her chest feels full of fluids (though it was hard the other day) and she keeps having runny white poop but it seems it either hurts or she’s just struggling to poop. She started doing this head shaking thing the past few days that we don’t know what it’s from and we’ve tried colodial silver as well and I bought tea tree oil for the water in her soaks. We’ve made sure to blow dry her and give her warm towels after soaks as well. We also bought this durastat with oregano that we’ve been using but she just seems very weak still and sleepy. I know she’s old but I’m hoping someone has advice I might be forgetting something but we’ve also been trying to feed no solids though days back she went crazy for dandelions. Anyway hope someone has good advice and thanks in advance

7-8 year old cubalaya hen who a week or so ago started to have this horrible smell like rotten stuff and so when she didn’t seem as active I decided to check her vent and she has yellow and green poop matted all over her feathers and with a rotten smell.

She has no energy but she does peck at cucumbers and had been pecking at Greek yogurt a few days ago as well as eating cat food days before that (my three hens love it) we’ve been keeping her in and separated and she just wants to sleep a lot and you can feel the swelling of her back side and her chest feels full of fluids (though it was hard the other day) and she keeps having runny white poop but it seems it either hurts or she’s just struggling to poop. She started doing this head shaking thing the past few days
Hi @Evangitron :frow Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry to hear about your hen.
If you have some photos of her, the discharge, her vent and her poop those may be helpful.
If you have video of her movements, upload that to youtube, then provide us a link.
When was the last time she laid an egg?

You mention that she has swelling of her backside. Is that under the vent between her legs (abdomen)? What does the swelling feel like - hard, tight like a drum or fluid filled like a balloon?

Her chest feels full of fluids - is it her crop that is fluid filled? Is the crop empty in the morning before she has had anything to eat/drink?

From your description, the chest of fluid along with head movements, she is having a crop issue. Having a hard time and indicating pain when pooping, she may have a reproductive problem. Often times crop issues are a symptom of an underlying condition like egg yolk peritonitis, internal laying, cancer, tumors, ascites and salpingitis.

Inflammation and/or infection can cause swelling and block the digestive process causing the crop to back up.

I would continue to encourage her to drink. You can give her a little coconut oil and gently massage the crop to see if that will help get things moving.

Hopefully we can give you better suggestions with more information and photos.

I think Wyorp Rock has given you good advice and I’m sure with some photos and additional information you will receive advice from others as well. I just wanted you to know that I am so sorry your sweet hen isn’t doing well. I know how much you love her and I will be praying for her. Please keep us posted on her progress.

Hi @Evangitron :frow Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry to hear about your hen.
If you have some photos of her, the discharge, her vent and her poop those may be helpful.
If you have video of her movements, upload that to youtube, then provide us a link.
When was the last time she laid an egg?

You mention that she has swelling of her backside. Is that under the vent between her legs (abdomen)? What does the swelling feel like - hard, tight like a drum or fluid filled like a balloon?

Her chest feels full of fluids - is it her crop that is fluid filled? Is the crop empty in the morning before she has had anything to eat/drink?

From your description, the chest of fluid along with head movements, she is having a crop issue. Having a hard time and indicating pain when pooping, she may have a reproductive problem. Often times crop issues are a symptom of an underlying condition like egg yolk peritonitis, internal laying, cancer, tumors, ascites and salpingitis.

Inflammation and/or infection can cause swelling and block the digestive process causing the crop to back up.

I would continue to encourage her to drink. You can give her a little coconut oil and gently massage the crop to see if that will help get things moving.

Hopefully we can give you better suggestions with more information and photos.

I will try to get some photos but on the abadomen the sides are very soft and fluid like and to me if use to feel hard. Her crop is the same feeling and barely seems to empty and doesn’t seem emptied in the morning. She hasn’t laid in almost a year and we can’t remember the last time (but she’s old but for some reason her and our two young healthy hens molted multiple times during the year and weren’t laying and now our welsummer should be but isn’t but our leghorn is) Here is a photo of her vent and the poop but the poop was green yellow diarrhea that made he feathers green but we’ve been bathing her and she’s barely eating so now it’s just the white stuff. My mom is worried she’s starving to death. The only thing we see her peck at really lately is the cucumber and maybe I can get a video of her shaking her head

Attachments

• 0F25BBE4-E682-46B6-A159-25241E7F0E61.jpeg
    0F25BBE4-E682-46B6-A159-25241E7F0E61.jpeg
    775.6 KB · Views: 20
  • C0A192CE-49B0-47FE-839B-F0EE818B843F.jpeg
    C0A192CE-49B0-47FE-839B-F0EE818B843F.jpeg
    455.4 KB · Views: 19
  • C973D14C-51F7-4D73-B435-DBAAFFB044BC.jpeg
    C973D14C-51F7-4D73-B435-DBAAFFB044BC.jpeg
    530.3 KB · Views: 18
  • B989AAFD-00BC-4611-B8B9-436E304270D4.jpeg
    B989AAFD-00BC-4611-B8B9-436E304270D4.jpeg
    235.2 KB · Views: 19
I think Wyorp Rock has given you good advice and I’m sure with some photos and additional information you will receive advice from others as well. I just wanted you to know that I am so sorry your sweet hen isn’t doing well. I know how much you love her and I will be praying for her. Please keep us posted on her progress.

Thank you, she’s a sweet hen and was actually found under a car as a pullet and were surprised to find a cubalaya in Oregon. She’s usually super chatty but the last few days the chatty talkativeness has stopped and usually if we say Hubble she replies cause she knows her name.

I should also add I don’t know if it’s related but she’s had these swollen feet that remind me of bumblefoot for a long time and I’ve had to remove plugs before but I don’t see any this time but the pads are swollen and pink and I’m unsure if it’s related

I should also add I don’t know if it’s related but she’s had these swollen feet that remind me of bumblefoot for a long time and I’ve had to remove plugs before but I don’t see any this time but the pads are swollen and pink and I’m unsure if it’s related
Hi Evangitron
:welcome
Can you post photos of her feet? Undersides and from top would be really helpful!

Poor little Hubble! I am so sorry she’s not doing better. I know you are doing everything you can for her. You definitely have my prayers and I am sending warm wishes your way.
Her comb looks really dark which isn’t usual
Her comb was normal red but today it has gotten darker. Crop still full of liquid, little appetite, weak, think she is starving to death due to no room and nothing much getting thru. Just slight whitediarhea.

Back
Top Bottom