Sick hen with swollen throat and the area around left eye, and discharge from left nostril.

PoultryPrince

Chirping
Jan 13, 2017
Ok so I'm swallowing my pride a bit right now.
I have a hen who got, what I believed to be, a sinus infection awhile back and I treated her, she seemed to be on the mend, and then I left town for awhile. I got back and to my horror I found her left nostril plugged/deformed and the discharge that could come out smelling to high heaven, and the skin around her eye swollen. I had dealt with the swollen eye/sinus infection before but the other stuff was new, I tried removing some of the plug from her nostril but with her being a bantam hen.. lets just say I got what I could out but I don't think I got all of it.
Anyway, I thought she was doing better her nostril was going back to a more normal appearance she was chattering like crazy and the swelling was going down. Then about two days ago the left side of her face began swelling even worse and the nostril began to run again. The swelling has even reached her throat now and she's showing the first signs of having a difficult time breathing. I don't know what to do, and I don't know of a vet in my area that will work with chickens.. I normally can handle this type of thing on my own but right now I'm at a loss and I don't want to lose her, please help!

Pics of the poor girl's left side, then the right side for comparison:

Nostrils can become blocked with feed, snot, and dirt becoming almost like a cement plug. Hers does look a bit swollen as well as blocked. You can use warm wet compresses to help soften the debris, and then hydrogen peroxide and QTips or toothpicks to dig out the gunk. She probably has a respiratory disease such as coryza or mycoplasma (MG,) but without getting her tested it is hard to tell for sure. As far as her eye swelling goes, I would try to clean out any pus , and put some antibiotic eye drops or ointment into the eye twice a day. It is difficult to get antibiotics without a prescription nowadays, but sulfa antibiotics or Injectable Tylan50 given orally may treat symptoms. The Tylan 50 can be found at feedstores. Sulfa is prescription only. Most respiratory diseases causing sinus infections and facial swelling are contagious, and usually the flock becomes carriers. Since she has had this awhile, it may not help much to separate her, but that is the usual way to contain this type of infection.

Last edited:
Nostrils can become blocked with feed, snot, and dirt becoming almost like a cement plug. Hers does look a bit swollen as well as blocked. You can use warm wet compresses to help soften the debris, and then hydrogen peroxide and QTips or toothpicks to dig out the gunk. She probably has a respiratory disease such as coryza or mycoplasma (MG,) but without getting her tested it is hard to tell for sure. As far as her eye swelling goes, I would try to clean out any pus , and put some antibiotic eye drops or ointment into the eye twice a day. It is difficult to get antibiotics without a prescription nowadays, but sulfa antibiotics or Injectable Tylan50 given orally may treat symptoms. The Tylan 50 can be found at feedstores. Sulfa is prescription only. Most respiratory diseases causing sinus infections and facial swelling are contagious, and usually the flock becomes carriers. Since she has had this awhile, it may not help much to separate her, but that is the usual way to contain this type of infection.

Hm.. Do have any suggestions on how to keep her head still while I do the compress and try to unplug her nose? I did try the compress but she's so touchy about her head she about drives me nuts with how much she pull away.. There hasn't been any puss but there is a lot of clear drainage that comes out on occasion.I'll try some more antibiotics today, if I can keep her head still long enough to do anything...
She's been mostly separate from the flock for awhile now, but I'm sure by now my whole flock has had some degree of exposure..

Hm.. Do have any suggestions on how to keep her head still while I do the compress and try to unplug her nose? I did try the compress but she's so touchy about her head she about drives me nuts with how much she pull away.. There hasn't been any puss but there is a lot of clear drainage that comes out on occasion.I'll try some more antibiotics today, if I can keep her head still long enough to do anything...
She's been mostly separate from the flock for awhile now, but I'm sure by now my whole flock has had some degree of exposure..
Do you have someone that can help hold her? Try wrapping/swaddling her in a towel - not too tight, this will help control her body, then have someone else help with the head.

Back
Top Bottom