sick hen, yellow/white oozing poo, puffed up, standing eyes closed - cant figure out what this is??

katesara

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2022
1 year old hen, yesterday she looked puffed up, hunched, walked slow to hide in bushes....
she has runny poop drips basically, white and yellow thick ooze like. The day before (one day ago) she layed an egg and seemed healthy.
That said someone in my flock of 8 tends to have soft shell eggs or egg mishaps every few days....I was never sure who it was or if it was spread about, but maybe she has had issues with eggs??
Her crop seems to be working but hard to tell? I don't smell sour, no vomit, the first morning it was soft and squishy, and then after she ate, it felt hard and raised up in neck area. I don't know if this is normal crop movement...
She was eating and drinking, but looked ill, today she seems same/stable, but not better and now I see her eat less and more standing with her eyes closed. I don't see her nesting down at all.
I gave her an epsom bath, tried to examine her vent...Currently have her isolated to control feeding.
I just don't know what she has and what to treat her with.

Currently trying:
I'm feeding her crumble and scrambled eggs. Was trying to give her crushed calcium citrate and brewers yeast in yogurt...lots of garlic, one water with electrolytes and one water has ACV and oregano oil...
i have photos but can't figure out how to upload

thought she was going to die last night, this morning she was still alive, we preppared for next steps...then I went down and saw she had layed 2 HUGE eggs, one double yolker triple sized egg, and one big soft shell.
She then perked up a bit, but still assuming she might be sick or have infection, because she was not egg bound the day she got sick (she laid the day before)....

anyway, still unknown, but looks more on recovery side.
going to give her an epsom bath and keep her contained to observe what she eats and herm morning lay.
Not out of the woods, but WOW it was so extreme this morning, I was sure she was dead.

i do worry/wonder that she has that egg yolk peri. syndrome, where she passes messed up eggs...

She seems better now!

I still am watching to see, does she have some infection? She looks good, her poop is looking more normal and formed
Does she have Egg Yolk Peri ??

Assuming she might, due to regularity of egg misshaps...
So my next questions, it seems like my birds (1 year) were all laying each day. On occasion we had a messed up or soft egg, so now I assume this was the girl...
But now the last two days, I don't think she has layed egg - and at least one of our other laying hens missed an egg.
They free range so I go and search all over yard for hidden eggs, not finding any. We don't have big snakes or egg snatchers that I know of. How often does a standard layer miss an egg?

I'm not sure how worried I should be that she isn't laying daily. (and another hen must not either, of our 7 laying eggs, I have had 5 eggs last two days each.
One might be a bit broody, she hangs long in nest, but not as aboslute broody as the hen we used to have. Maybe she isn't laying?

Does it matter? How should I track?

Sorry to be clear, all my hens lay in the nest boxes almost always....so I do search the open yard, but it's super rare that I've seen an egg laid out there...

She seems better now!
That's good!
I still am watching to see, does she have some infection? She looks good, her poop is looking more normal and formed
Does she have Egg Yolk Peri ?
Is her abdomen bloated?
How often does a standard layer miss an egg?
It depends a lot on the breed.
Does it matter? How should I track?
You can put food dye in their vent before they go to bed. When they lay their egg the next day you can see what hen laid what egg by the color of the dye.

Back
Top Bottom