Sick hen?

Stellaminpin5

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2017
help! My hen was just sitting on the ground. I looked and she had a ton of poo on her butt, I gave her a warm bath and got all the poo off. But her abdomen is swollen. And she is sitting in the corner and looks unhealthy... please help!

Some one please help!!! I went out to see her and she's sitting there with her eyes shut. I'm so worried that she's going to die...:(

Hi @Stellaminpin5

I'm sorry to hear that your hen is not well:hugs

How old is she?
Do you know when she last laid an egg?
The swelling of the abdomen - is it hard or does it feel like fluid filled?

Having a swollen abdomen and being lethargic sounds like she may have an internal laying/reproductive disorder like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Ascites, Salpingitis, cancer or tumors.

IF the abdomen feels like it has fluid in it, sometimes the fluid can be drained to help them feel better for a short period of time.

She is 4 1/2 years old. She hasn't laid an egg for a while. It is not hard, so I ruled out egg bound. It seems like she's not going to make it. Her eyes are closed and she is in a corner.:hit

I'm so sorry:hugs

Try to do the best you can to get some water into her. She may be suffering from dehydration if it's hot where you are.

Consider bringing her in to make her as comfortable as you can or place her in a cool shady area.

If you can't get her to rally and she seems to be in pain or is suffering, the kindest thing to do would be putting her down.

Thanks for helping me, I'm very thankful. I just went out to see her, were she is sitting there is a small puddle of water that she threw up. I was watching her and she kept throwing up water. I would love anymore help.

Back
Top Bottom