Sick hen?

Sounds like a sour crop. yes, I would assist her in "throwing up", I would put her in a cage if you have one and withhold food for 24 hours. I would put organic ACV in her water (a tablespoon per gallon) and make sure she drinks that. If she isn't, you may have to tube some in her. I solved a sour crop issue with a hen of mine using organic ACV in her water (making sure she got some in her every day by tubing) and giving her an oregano oil capsule every day for three days. I bought my oregano oil capsules at health food store.
So, try to empty crop, withhold food overnight, tube ACV water in her daily if she won't drink it and one oregano oil capsule (open beak and push to back of throat) daily for three days. By day two she was interested in food again. Don't give sugary foods during this treatment. I continued acv water for a couple of more days after improvement and she was fine. So, this method worked for me.

Her breathing is wheezy, she has a nice little spot with fresh bedding and water. I'm just going to let her be. I think she's dying.:(

I put her in a cage, and gave her oregano oil in water. It seemed to help a tiny bit. She seems to be doing a little better. I left some fresh water without any thing in it. How often should

Sorry you lost her. Regarding oregano oil, it is very bitter and chickens are not likely to drink it in their water. If I give oregano oil to my birds, I always just pop the capsule down the back of their throat.
I guess another way to dose oregano might be fresh oregano added to their water. I imagine you would have to crush or bruise the leaves to release the oils, but again, don't know how bitter it may make the water or if they will be getting enough to do them any good.
I just find it easier to give them the pill.

Back
Top Bottom