Sick hen

Jaimes09

Songster
Sep 6, 2021
I have a hen that is around 5-6 months. Seems to be stumbling and always has right foot curled. Was told she could have vitamin E deficiency. But just noticed she’s only eating corn. She seems not to be eating the feed at all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 6
I have a hen that is around 5-6 months. Seems to be stumbling and always has right foot curled. Was told she could have vitamin E deficiency. But just noticed she’s only eating corn. She seems not to be eating the feed at all.
Corn should not be out for free feeding. They will usually go for corn or scratch or other treats and not eat their balanced chicken feed, (it's like kids and candy) and not get their needed vitamins or nutrients. A good chicken feed is all they need to be perfectly healthy. Things considered treats should not make up more than 10% of their diet.

Corn should not be out for free feeding. They will usually go for corn or scratch or other treats and not eat their balanced chicken feed, (it's like kids and candy) and not get their needed vitamins or nutrients. A good chicken feed is all they need to be perfectly healthy. Things considered treats should not make up more than 10% of their diet.
Well I’ve been told it helps them keep warm. It’s been around 20F-30F so that’s why I’ve been mixing feed lately. What should i feed her that won’t be bad?

I have pellets out 24/7 and only ever give corn mix when i get a chance to go outside as it's been snowing.

What should i feed her that won’t be bad?
Their balanced pellet feed.
I have pellets out 24/7 and only ever give corn mix when i get a chance to go outside as it's been snowing.
You can give them a little corn, but I wouldn't mix in feed all the time or exceed 10% of diet. If you want to warm them up on very cold nights, you can mix pellets in some warm water and feed as a mash warm, I feel would be much better for your birds than the corn. What Protein % is your pellets?

Have you tried feed in the form of crumbles? Maybe she doesn't like the pellets. My girls never would touch pellet. In fact, I have one hen who always seemed to have trouble eating large pieces of food like a pellet.

Try giving your girl a little cooked egg or sunflower seeds. But only about a teaspoon worth. The majority of her diet should be feed for the best nutrition.

Their balanced pellet feed.

You can give them a little corn, but I wouldn't mix in feed all the time or exceed 10% of diet. If you want to warm them up on very cold nights, you can mix pellets in some warm water and feed as a mash warm, I feel would be much better for your birds than the corn. What Protein % is your pellets?
She’s not eating feed though that’s the issue.

I think 14%
Have you tried feed in the form of crumbles? Maybe she doesn't like the pellets. My girls never would touch pellet. In fact, I have one hen who always seemed to have trouble eating large pieces of food like a pellet.

Try giving your girl a little cooked egg or sunflower seeds. But only about a teaspoon worth. The majority of her diet should be feed for the best nutrition.
i had crumbles out for her as well but no luck. She just stopped eating.

Back
Top Bottom