Sick hen

Jhsugg560

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2022
I have a ISA brown hen a little over two years old. I noticed last evening she was laying down in the run and wouldn’t really walk. This morning when I let the chickens out of the coop she took a few steps and then sat down and wouldn’t get up. She is not egg bound, eyes and nose are also clear. I have separated her and gave her an egg yolk which she took a few bites of. Crop was a little full but all I could really feel was grit rolling around. She did have a runny poop this morning. Any ideas?

thanks!

How old is she? Is her tail up or down? Has she been laying eggs recently? Has she molted this summer or fall? I would make sure that she is drinking well, and offer her some moistened chicken feed. Recheck her crop to see if it is emptying overnight. If not, her crop may not be working well. That can happen with reproductive disorders (egg yolk peritonitis, salpingitis,) water belly, or other illness. Reproductive problems may cause them to feel weak, and want to lie around or separate themselves. Have you wormed her recently? Watch to make sure that she is not getting picked on.

How old is she? Is her tail up or down? Has she been laying eggs recently? Has she molted this summer or fall? I would make sure that she is drinking well, and offer her some moistened chicken feed. Recheck her crop to see if it is emptying overnight. If not, her crop may not be working well. That can happen with reproductive disorders (egg yolk peritonitis, salpingitis,) water belly, or other illness. Reproductive problems may cause them to feel weak, and want to lie around or separate themselves. Have you wormed her recently? Watch to make sure that she is not getting picked on.
She’s just short of 2.5 years and is laying regularly. She is very alert I have been sitting with her in the garage and she is definitely limping. Seems like she might have an injury up at her hip.. Is there anything I can do to help this? She takes a few hobbled steps then sits.

Is she putting weight on the leg or holding it up? Injuries are very common, and it can take weeks for some to heal. Do you see any swelling, green bruising, or redness on the leg? Pictures of the leg may help. Are any others picking on her?

Is she putting weight on the leg or holding it up? Injuries are very common, and it can take weeks for some to heal. Do you see any swelling, green bruising, or redness on the leg? Pictures of the leg may help. Are any others picking on her?
Thank you for your replies I appreciate it! Her leg and foot look fine from what I can see. It seems to be up higher under her feathers. I felt around and didn’t feel any lump or swelling. She’s not holding it up but also not standing on it for very long before she sits. Takes about two steps then sits. Seems to have to adjust once she is sitting to get comfortable. The others weren’t picking on her but I separated her just to see what the problem was. I might put her back with them because she seems to want to get out of the cage :(. She has always kind of seems to walk with a wider gate than the others but never had a problem. We say she walks like a robot because her little hips are so wide.

Most chickens are happier to be with their flocks and not sepearted. I only separate if they are being picked on. A wire dog crate with food and water but left with the flock is a good way to separate. I would try to prevent her from jumping up and down off a roost if that is making her sore.

Most chickens are happier to be with their flocks and not sepearted. I only separate if they are being picked on. A wire dog crate with food and water but left with the flock is a good way to separate. I would try to prevent her from jumping up and down off a roost if that is making her sore.
I did this! Hopefully she just has a little sprang or something. Thanks everyone for the responses!

Back
Top Bottom