Sick Hen

atmafarms374

Hatching
7 Years
Jul 18, 2012
Hi, i came hoem today to a hen (Mug is her name) laying in the run, not in the roost. She is very weak. She had a liquid coming out her mouth. I massaged her crop and gave her water in a dropper which she did swallow. her poop is brown but is hald hard and half runny. The harder part is brown and the runny part is a yellowish white. Does anyone have any ideas.. She is part of the family. She has lost some weight and is only 6 months old

Fluid coming from her mouth could be a number of things including impacted or long term sour crop or even an advanced pneumonia. Does it smell particularly bad near her mouth/secretions?

it smelled a little bad but not too bad. now i onlt smelled it after i had massaged it out for awhile. This morning she is still alive but very weak. Can not stand up. She does not really respond to me either. but i can open the cage to pick her up and she does open her eyes. She has pooped throughout the nihgt. Still a little yellowis white. Please, any suggestions?

it does smell a little. not too bad, but i did smell it after i had massaged her crop for awhile, so i dont really know. she is breathing a little hard also.

I am not an expert, and don't know what happened to her, but maybe you can try some antibiotics as a start. In the meantime, you can give her some glucose and poly vi sol. I hope it can help. Good luck!

You can get Poly vita sol at any pharmacy. It is an over the counter childrens vitamen. I am new enough to this that I can't help with diagnosing your girl's symptoms but wish you luck. I would do a search here to see if you might find another thread that addresses your symptoms.
hugs.gif

just an update so far on Mug... she ate a little chick food. I have been giving her drops of water and she has been taking them. When i tried to a bit ago she got a little aggrevated and tried to get out ot the cage. i am in the process of locating antibotics for her but no one around here seems to have any. but is is still very weak and not moving around much. Sleeping a lot. not out of woods yet, but we are hoping and praying she pulls through. If any one has any other ides, im still open to try anything.

Back
Top Bottom