Sick hen

Texiken2000

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
Bought a hen recently and I've noticed her sick i think. I've seen her eating and drinking but most times she's on the perch looking asleep and sounds congested and all of a sudden coughs or a half crow almost gag. i can't explain. help

A gurgle or cough could be two things. An upper respiratory infection or a crop that isn't emptying. Check the crop of the bird in the morning before letting it out to eat. See if it is swollen and hard or full of liquid by feeling it with your hand. Put your nose up to the bird's mouth and smell. Look in the bird's mouth at the back of the throat. Describe what you observe and how the bird looks. Look under where the bird is roosting and examine the droppings with a flashlight. You'll see what color and appearance is (watery or solid). Let me know and I'll help the best I can. What breed of bird it is helps too to determine size and dosage of medicine if needed.

Last edited:
standard speckled sussex. i will feel her crop tomorrow but as far as looking down her throat im lucky to see my hand in front of me lol. thanks for the help. i just built the pen and bought the chickens. im not new to chickens but its been about 12yrs. last ones got killed by critters. so this time around built my pen closer to house next to my dogs run to help deter critters and i have a light pole out there now and its close to my bedroom window so i can hear them. im really excited. I've had health problems and am now on social security at the ripe old age of 43 so this chickens are serving as therepy and a reason to get up and go when sometimes you just don't want to. but anyways there laying like crazy I've ordered a incubator with fan and turner in hopes that will bring the % up on hatch rate. so wish me luck and thanks for listening

I will and i can't wait for the chicks. even my daughter is excited and i thought with her getting older and living a life of her own she'd loose interest so its going to bring us all together again

Back
Top Bottom