Sick hen

DaddyChicken

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 9, 2011
Byron, GA
I have a Rhode Island Red hen about 2.5 yrs old that has been sick for about 5 days. Her comb is limp, she is very weak, and most noticeably, she is holding her tail very low. She eats and drinks water. I have given her some english peas and whole kernel corn from a can thinking it may help in some way. She stayed in the coup the last two days but is out today. I saw her poop yesterday and it looked kind-of milky with some normal looking runny poop also. Looked like an oyster.

I have six other hens and one rooster and they are fine. I hope someone has an idea 'cause I don't. Thanks!

I have a Rhode Island Red hen about 2.5 yrs old that has been sick for about 5 days. Her comb is limp, she is very weak, and most noticeably, she is holding her tail very low. She eats and drinks water. I have given her some english peas and whole kernel corn from a can thinking it may help in some way. She stayed in the coup the last two days but is out today. I saw her poop yesterday and it looked kind-of milky with some normal looking runny poop also. Looked like an oyster.

I have six other hens and one rooster and they are fine. I hope someone has an idea 'cause I don't. Thanks!
Could be several things,have you looked up information for vent gleet? Here is a link for vent gleet.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/vent-gleet-aka-nasty-chicken-butt

Have you checked for being egg bound?

You might want to separator her from the reset of the flock
as you know soon the rest of your chickens just might
want to start pecking at her causing new problems ........
he.gif
And try giving her some Probiotic and see if this
will work and change her diet a little by giving her some
rice, oatmeal with some cut up carrots or other Vegies
or some apple if this isn't working you know it is something
very serious ....... But it never hurts to try the easy things
first ..........

gander007

Thanks ten chicks! I think you're on to something. I remember reading about this a couple yeas ago but had forgotten and I don't come on here much recently. Will give the treatments a try and let you know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom