sick/injured duck with prolapsed vent. cant walk, won't eat

zesty_runnerduck

Hatching
Aug 2, 2021
Our whelsh harlequin duck has a prolapsed vent with hard stuff hanging out of and stuck it, its oozing afoul smelling white fluid.
Since we brought her in to treat it 2 days ago, she has refused to eat during this and today she can't stand or walk, she's very alert and active though.

She has not laid yet (I don't know if she's egg bound) and the night before she prolapsed, our coop got attacked by a bear.

I don't have any vets that can care for ducks around here and I'm afraid she will die.

What is wrong with her and what can I do to help her

Update:
She ended up passing away early in the morning.

Last edited:
What have you tried to do so far to treat it? Have you tried to push the prolapse back in or anything? Do you think she could have an egg broken inside of her?

@shawluvsbirds
I gave her a warm bath daily and tried my best to wash the area, then I read I could put honey on it to help with the inflammation and olive oil to keep it moist
I'm not really sure about the technique to push it back in, I've poked around trying to push parts back in but I'm afraid to press too hard.
I don't know, I'm not sure how to check for that.

@shawluvsbirds
I gave her a warm bath daily and tried my best to wash the area, then I read I could put honey on it to help with the inflammation and olive oil to keep it moist
I'm not really sure about the technique to push it back in, I've poked around trying to push parts back in but I'm afraid to press too hard.
I don't know, I'm not sure how to check for that.
Here's a decent video of a lady treating a prolapsed hen. It would be the same for a duck.
When I had a prolapsed duck I Used preparation h like this lady did and it did work. Unfortunately though mine had some kind of infection and continued to prolapse and I ended up having to put her down.

When you feel inside of her hopefully you'll be able to tell if there's an egg stuck inside there or not. I don't think she's got much chance of getting better unless you can fix the prolapse. 😔

Here's a decent video of a lady treating a prolapsed hen. It would be the same for a duck.
When I had a prolapsed duck I Used preparation h like this lady did and it did work. Unfortunately though mine had some kind of infection and continued to prolapse and I ended up having to put her down.

When you feel inside of her hopefully you'll be able to tell if there's an egg stuck inside there or not. I don't think she's got much chance of getting better unless you can fix the prolapse. 😔
Thank you, I'll try to get preparation h tomorrow and attempt to push to prolapse back in.
If I can't get preparation h, would other brands of hemorrhoids cream work?
I thought I may have felt a hard mass in her bottom but I'll need to check again tomorrow.

Can you get some photos?

You mention hard stuff hanging, is it necrotic tissue, possibly hardened urates?
A foul smell is concerning.

Is she pooping at all?

Yes, you can use generic hemorrhoid cream or if you can't get that you can use an anti-inflammatory cream. Ultimately, the goal is to keep any exposed tissue moist with ointment so the tissue does not dry up. If the honey and oil is what you have, then use that until you get something else. Many use raw honey on prolapses with good results.

Can you get some photos?

You mention hard stuff hanging, is it necrotic tissue, possibly hardened urates?
A foul smell is concerning.

Is she pooping at all?

Yes, you can use generic hemorrhoid cream or if you can't get that you can use an anti-inflammatory cream. Ultimately, the goal is to keep any exposed tissue moist with ointment so the tissue does not dry up. If the honey and oil is what you have, then use that until you get something else. Many use raw honey on prolapses with good results.
She ended up passing away early this morning
I didn't get a chance to take photos but looking at photos online, I think the hard pieces were necrotic tissue.
Thank you all for your suggestions, hopefully in the future, if it happens again, I'll be better prepared and able to fix it.

She ended up passing away early this morning
I didn't get a chance to take photos but looking at photos online, I think the hard pieces were necrotic tissue.
Thank you all for your suggestions, hopefully in the future, if it happens again, I'll be better prepared and able to fix it.
I'm sorry to hear that. It sounds like you done your best to help her, these things just happen sometimes and if your like me it's hard to justify a high $$$ vet bill.. if you even have a vet close by that will see a duck. We just do the best we can under the circumstances. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom