Sick, lethargic week old chick. Help

FlockFinderWest

Chirping
Dec 9, 2023
On Friday I picked up two bantam frizzle chicks. I got them at delivery so they were only 2-3 days old. Everything was fine and they were both active and eating until Saturday night where I noticed my yellow chick was having watery diarrhea. Since then she has not improved and is sleeping a lot. She eats a little and I have to help her drink. Her sibling is completely fine. This morning I weighed them and her sibling is 27 grams while she is only 19. I have tried feeding egg yolk as well as added a bit of acv and sugar to their water. I don’t think it is coccidiosis as there is no blood in the stool and they are only 5-6 days old

Attachments

• IMG_1725.jpeg
    IMG_1725.jpeg
    343.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1708.jpeg
    IMG_1708.jpeg
    654.1 KB · Views: 7
I’m so sorry to hear that :-( it’s such a sad feeling hey. I hope you’re able to find her buddy some company soon x
Thank you, Her friend was distraught over her absence. I did go and get two more friends for the remaining one and they are getting a long very well. Hopefully this is the end of any chick troubles

Attachments

• IMG_1736.jpeg
    IMG_1736.jpeg
    619.7 KB · Views: 8
They don't have to have blood in the stool for them to have coccidiosis. You read that all the time on this forum but it is just not true. But at that age it is not a coccidiosis problem. It takes a while for coccidiosis to develop.

What it sounds like is a failure to thrive. For whatever reasons (often some type of internal birth defect) some chicks are just not meant to make it.

But that does not mean you give up. Is she eating what you give her? The way I treat a chick like that is to put a drop of liquid on the tip of her beak for her to drink. Some people use electrolytes of some sort. Some use sugar water. I use hummingbird liquid since I always have some on hand. I give her drops of the hummingbird liquid until she has enough and quits drinking it. The idea is that she will get enough energy from it so she feels like eating and drinking. I've used the same method on a grown hen that had quit eating and drinking. It's worked about half of the time.

I'm sorry you lost your little one but very glad you got some new ones. They will be a comfort both to you and to the survivor. Better luck going forward!
I appreciate the kind words, it was really heartbreaking to see the sibling come to terms with the fact that her friend was gone. I understand these things happen, but I’d been spoiled so far and have never lost a chick. This was definitely tough for me. But I am positive going forwards and I know these new little chicks will be strong and healthy.

Thank you, Her friend was distraught over her absence. I did go and get two more friends for the remaining one and they are getting a long very well. Hopefully this is the end of any chick troubles
Ah, they look very sweet and fluffy! Fingers crossed for the 4 of you that they get off to a flying start now 💕

Back
Top Bottom