sick, listless turkey,

shellrae7

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 24, 2010
Pleasant Grove, UT
Hi there,
I have 3 broadbrested white turkeys, 2 toms and a hen.... I would've never bought them now, knowing what i know... but nonetheless. They are 3 months old, and 3 days ago the hen started acting funny. She won't get up. We have moved her onto the grass and penned her somewhat... and she has sat there and ate and drank and pooped for 3 days without moving. She seems alert, and otherwise healthy, like I said she eats and drinks, but she won't move from that spot.

If she were acting normal she'd have flown that cage long ago... it won't really keep her, I just didn't want her scooting around and pooping everywhere.

Does anyone know what MAY be wrong?

The only thing I can think of is that maybe she is soon to lay? All the males in the coop were picking on her, including the ducks. I've not actually seen anyone mount her, though I can't say it hasn't happened.... they have tried.

What do I do now? Will she die?? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

I posted this earlier in the turkey section.

Also my son noticed a bunch of tiny bugs on her bum tonight...... mites??? What do I do abou tthat???? Likely because she's' sitting in her own poo all day. We've shoveled it out several times, haven't just left it there... but the flies are circling.

Will an antibiotic help? I plan to start her on one tomorrow.

Or should I just put her out of her misery?

Back
Top Bottom