Sick little Polish

Vickie Gamble

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2019
I have had my 5 month old Polish for 2 weeks now...and 1 is puny, eats and waters good, but weak. She walks around with head hung low, like depressed or sick.......I've been giving her vitamin water this week and at lunch today I gave her B12 drops. I also gave her a bath because her butt feathers had poop all in them. Any idea on what could be wrong with my polish?

Do you have any pictures of how she looks? Coccidiosis can make them lethargic, weak, have runny poops, have a poor appetite, and they may be hunched or puffed up. Corid (amprollium) in the water is the treatment. Dosage is 2 tsp (10 ml) of the liquid Corid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. If you start Corid, which can be obtained at feed stores in the cattle medicines, stop the vitamins until after treatment. If is hot where you live? Do you have other chickens? Does she seem to have any friends in the flock? Is she laying yet? If your local vet could run a test on some fresh droppings, it could rule out worms and coccidiosis.

I have been trying to upload a video but having no luck.....She has not lost her appetite....Still eats and drinks good and walks slowly, her head does no raise up....This morning she was not in the run and I went to check and she was on her side not able to get up. Once I got her to her feet she came out, walked around and ate.....Like I said just getting started on a coop and I have 3 polish and 10 mixed chicks........

Do you know if she has symptoms of wry neck, where the neck is either twisted to one side, looking upward to the sky, or held down? This is a neurological symptom, and can be a sign of vitamin E or B1 thiamine deficiency, from a head injury, and sometimes seen in certain diseases including Mareks and others. Polish can get picked on about the head, and bullied. I would probably get her drinking and continue the vitamins. If you think she has wry neck, start some vitamin E 400 IU in addition to the vitamins. She may need help getting enough water and food. Mixing a small amount of chicken feed with a lot of water, and a bit of cooked egg, and offering that several times a day would be good.

upload_2019-8-15_18-5-11.jpeg

Wry neck

She is doing so much better....Walking with head high......not acting depressed anymore......I have her selenium and vitamin E....Thank you for asking..

Back
Top Bottom