Sick Narragansett Turkey (respiratory)

fiberdrunk

Songster
12 Years
Mar 6, 2011
I've been pretty lucky with my chickens and turkeys for the past several years, but now I'm seeing our first respiratory infection in an adult male Narragansett turkey (6 years old). Normally he free-ranges (keeps close to home, though... he's never been a wanderer) and comes home to roost in a wood shed with pine shavings, which we lock up at night to keep predators out. He has 3 girlies and so far none of them show signs of illness. We have him quarantined right now.

Symptoms: He has a runny beak (long mucous dripping off it). His poop looks like water. His lungs sound "clicky." The first sign we had was yesterday, when he went off by himself, which is really unusual for him. He's always stuck close to home. Then he didn't come home last night to roost, but hid in the woods somewhere. We found him today, though, and quarantined him in a large crate with pine shavings.

There have been no dietary changes. The only change is that we have been in quite a heat wave lately, then in the last two days, the temps have suddenly dropped by about 15 degrees. That seems to be the only environmental change that we can discern.

We were able to buy Tylan 50 injectable this afternoon, and have given him 3 CC at the base of the neck/back. He weighs 20 pounds. He's only had one dose so far. I'm not sure if that is the correct dosage. I've been reading the forum, but see a lot of differences in opinion. I guess I'm asking should I continue at this dosage? How frequently per day, and for how many days? Based on his symptoms, what do you think he has? I'm thinking of putting colloidal silver in a water bottle for him, too.

Thanks for any advice!

Mycoplasma (MG) can be more serious in turkeys than in chickens. Sinus infection is common, and air sacculitis may occur in bad cases. Does he have any swelling around an eye or bubbles in an eye? Can you get Tylan 200? It is 4 times more concentrated than Tylan 50, and is better suited for such a large bird. Dosage of Tylan 50 for a 20 pounder, would be 4 ml 3 times a day for 3 to 5 days. I would give it orally if possible, since 4 ml is too large Tylan 200 dosage would be 1 ml 3 times a day. You could give it orally or by intramuscular injection into the breast muscle, but it has be know to cause muscle damage in some birds. Here is an article about MG in turkeys:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/mycoplasmosis/mycoplasma-gallisepticum-infection-in-poultry

Thanks for posting. Unfortunately, my turkey died Saturday night, not long after I posted and after his first dose of Tylan. :( There weren't any bubbles or swelling around the eyes. Whatever it was, it came on fast... within less than 2 days, from onset of symptoms to death. We didn't delay treatment. I'll have to keep an eye on my female turkeys and chickens to see if they've caught it. So far so good, though.

Sorry for your loss. Hopefully your others will not show symptoms. If it was MG, it can make carriers of your flock. Birds can sometimes shake off common diseases, then in a time of stress, such as during very cold winter weather or during a molt, they can suddenly get symptoms.

If you should lose another bird, you can refrigerate the body, and have the state vet poultry lab do a necropsy, which would test for certain diseases.

Back
Top Bottom