Sick of foxes

wberry85

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 21, 2011
Somewhere
I have a major fox problem, several attacks in a matter of weeks. I have bought new chicks since but I feel like I am just marching them to their death. They are going to keep coming back until I do something. Shooting them could be an option but we will see if the law gets in my way. Also, nightvision scopes are expensive.

If I can get woken up at night when the fox is attacking I can make it out there to mitigate the attack but I need some sort of alarm system. Yall set up anything like that? Motion detecting or anything?

How about traps? I am an avid hunter but never trapped. I know there is an art to it. I just need to know what method works the best for foxes.

Do you have a dog? We have a horrible possum problem and our German Shepherd Belgian Malinois keeps them away and has even fought and killed one all on his own. He doesn't bother our chickens either. If you don't have a good dog I would recommend thinking of getting one!

I have several bird dogs but I would not want to put them at risk with rabies etc. They are trained hunting dogs so I am not wanting to put them at risk. I also have a pit bull but I think he is so fat the foxes would just out run him lol...

Baby monitors are great for the times you are inside and can not hear whats going on at night, but they can cause a loss of sleep because you get tuned into them and every Little noise will have you running outside to check on you babies.
As long as your dogs are up to date on their rabies vaccination they are not suppose too get rabies if bitten by a rabid animal, i would use them to denture the foxes if you can.
I use dogs exclusively for predator control and i do not have any of my bird peened , they are totally free ranged.
I live on a large parcel of land so dogs are my best option.

I use this guy.

He had to drive off fox multiple times last night from my place and neighbors so turf he must defend is a good 10 acres and quite dispersed. No losses and dog loves job. He is kept up on shots. He also notifies me when varmints visit and he now regularly kills smaller pest like oppossums plus the racoons not longer visit.

He has also taken on a maruading male pitbull preventing losses of fowl but he was not able soundly kill the pitbull like Zazouse's dogs could likely do even one on one. With respect foxes, you will not find better.

I also keep a few birds (roosters) near bedroom window and they cackle even when neighbors chickens are disturbed.

I think I have a fox problem too. I just lost a hen with 4 of 6 chicks the other day. They like to go to the wooded area next to where we live.
They have been going there for quite some time and there has not been a problem until now
I am going to get a live trap first. Then the .22 We have 2 pyrenees dogs that aren't worth a darn except to bark at cars going down the
dirt road.
I myself have never had a night time problem with anything getting my chickens or ducks. They are all closed up. Guess I have been lucky
in that respect.
cindy

I think I have a fox problem too. I just lost a hen with 4 of 6 chicks the other day. They like to go to the wooded area next to where we live.
They have been going there for quite some time and there has not been a problem until now
I am going to get a live trap first. Then the .22 We have 2 pyrenees dogs that aren't worth a darn except to bark at cars going down the
dirt road.
I myself have never had a night time problem with anything getting my chickens or ducks. They are all closed up. Guess I have been lucky
in that respect.
cindy
I think the larger livestock guardian dogs are more suited to deal with predators that will engage in standup fight (wolves / other dogs) or are otherwise slow or slow witted (sometimes other dogs). Foxes and even coyotes do not exhibit either quality and with small livestock like poultry the darn fox or coyote can come in snatch a bird and then quickly get beyond a slower LGD's reach. Using .22 is too labor intensive and for some reason I can not shoot straight wearing only underwear. Your dogs may still be extremely effective when poultry are up making it so your LGD's do not have to truely on stick. I bet removing your two big dogs would result in predators coming by more at night.

Any of yall tried electric fence? If so, what brand?
Electric fence can be iffy. Most instances, with hot wires properly spaced, foxes will respect them, but if a fox figures out how to jump over or through then fence might as well not be present.

Consider not relying on a single strategy to protect flock. Use a combination. Make certain birds at least elevated after dark, cooped even better. Dog roaming outside when chickens already tough to get to or when birds vocalize also good. The hot wire can provide a boundary that has more meaning if dog in contained on other side. Do not forget yourself, if predator calls at night and you hear stock making a ruckus then go outside. The baby monitor / rooster in front porch helps a lot. So many losses occur while owner is home but fails to react until next morning and then follows up about all the evil the predator has done while owner slept blissfully. You can handle a oppossum with your shoe and most predators do not want to be in close to a big ape (you).

Back
Top Bottom