1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick of the mud now

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by inkedlady, Sep 21, 2013.

1. inkedlady

inkedlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2013
    Stoke-on-Trent. Uk
    I've had enough of mud in the garden now I'm thinking of sand and pea gravel is this the best solution ? Plz help lol

2. TheReadyBoys

TheReadyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    P.E.I, Canada
    Yeah, either one should do the trick.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Perhaps muck some of the mud out, put down landscape fabric to slow down the mud from pumping up through the gravel, and lay gravel on top of that. It would need to be at least 3 or 4 inches, I would say.

Or, just sand on top. I have a combination - one area more smooth pea gravel, next to it more sand - I am still experimenting.

But one bit help is that section of the pen has a 2% slope, more or less, into a small channel that takes the dump water and splash down to a garden bed.

You should see the plants in that bed!!!

1 person likes this.
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I did this in key areas, I laid down landscaping material[very important] or gravel will get incorporated into the mud, then I laid the river rock small round stones on top at about 2" deep. works great so far.

5. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    Landscape paper great idea wish I'd thought of that before laying 15 bags of rock. You can guess what my rock looks like.

6. new2ducks

new2ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2012
    Colorado
    they don't eat the gravel? I wanted to put some pea gravel down in areas but I was afraid they might eat it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by